• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Driftwood buoyancy

parotet

Hi all

some months ago I collected some very nice wood of Juniperus sabina, a tree living in high Mediterranean mountains. Due to the extreme climatic conditions (wind, cold and snow) this tree has evolved to grow carpeting the ground. As most of the Juniperus species, they are slow growers but in these habitats the growth rate is even slower. Each of the patches you can see in the picture are isolated trees and can be more than 100 years old.

17101567367_eb3e26da1b_z.jpg

The fact is that I collected very nice pieces of dry wood cured by the cold, sun, etc.

17308543861_4f251b9282_z.jpg

and they have been soaking in my balcony pond for 4-5 weeks, but they do not sink! They are not really large pieces, they all fit in my 60cm tank, so the wood should be easily waterlogged. I've read that boiling them would help. They are locally known for being rot-proof and very hard wood. I have also read that Cypress wood (Juniperus is also a Cupressaceae plant) is very buoyant and people end up attaching them to slate plates.... but am I wrong assuming that it is a matter of time? People say that some driftwood is almost impossible to be waterlogged but this is only probably true for very large pieces, isn't it?

Well, anyone has any experience with similar species? I don't like the idea of siliconing the wood or fixing it to anything...

Jordi

Last edited:
Keep with it...

I had a piece that took almost 2 months to sink :nailbiting:

It will be worth the wait :thumbup:

Do you think boiling the wood would help or is it a myth? I don't care about the tannins, I would do it to make sure it will sink during the coming 2 months

Jordi

Well, 1+ month in the pond so far, plus a boiling session, plus two months more in the pond... hope this will be enough! I want to work on the new setup at the end of August. I will need it for this time

Jordi

Back