• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Drop checker and CO2 mist - is this a problem?

greenink

Have switched from an UP atomiser inline CO2 to an aquamedic 1000.

Two quick observations: my bubble count now has to be a lot higher to get a lime green drop checker (but the fish are showing no stress), and the water is a lot, lot clearer.

Can't help wondering if the UP Atomiser has thrown off the drop checker accuracy by the mist 'getting into' the air space too easily, giving a false high reading. Has anyone else experienced this? What else could be going on? Literally nothing else in the setup has changed.

I have seen this with my "new type" UP Aqua inline diffuser compared to my old no-name reactor. I can't say for sure if its better CO2 diffusion or the bubbles getting into the drop checker like you mentioned. Plus the drop checker sometimes remains lime green in the morning!

I've not heard of this before, but I do know the aqua medic reactor is awesome at reducing the amount of co2. I've tried all sorts of diffusers and had to lower my bubble count using it. Does the up inline really cause so much stress to the fish I seem to be reading this alot. Sorry to hi jack

I`ve used both the UP Atomizer, and the AM1000. Like you I had to increase the BPS rate drastically when using the AM. I was pumping in about 4/5 bps just to achieve the correct lime green colouration from my drop checker.

I have reverted back to my UP and injection rate is around 2 bps now. I have suffered no deteriation in plant health, or witnessed any change in growth when swapping between two, so IMO I feel the UP is reading accurately?

I feel that the UP is much more efficient in terms of diffusion of Co2. However the mist is just awful. :thumbdown:

SO...........
I loved the look of my plants pearling in clean, clear water when using the AM1000, however flow reduction and increased bubble rate was a real pain in the ass.
And.........
I loved the reduced ammount of injected Co2 needed with the UP, and the minimal loss of flow was a real bonus, but that damn awful fog produced looked just vile.
But which is best.......?
There`s only one way to find out?
FIGHT.......... :D

Quetzalcoatl wrote:
However the mist is just awful.

Do you have your UP on the outflow of your filter or the intake?

Sorry, post should of read "The mist WAS just awful" :thumbup: I have recently moved my UP to the intake. It is alot better, still get a little ejaculation of bubbles every so often, but I can live with that!
I run a G6 so I think that the pre filter is helping alot in the dissolution of gas. I had tried this same method when I was using my Eheim and I was getting a large build up of undissolved gas in there. :thumbdown:

Back