• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Drop checker dark green when lights go on

GillesF

Hi guys

I'm injecting co2 in both of my tanks. When the lights go on, the drop checker is still dark/medium green. Should I increase the bps or should I start (and stop?) injecting earlier? Or is a dark/medium green drop checker ok?

By the way, I have a small leak somewhere in my system since I emptied a 2kg bottle in less than a month for my two tanks (2bps for my larger tank, 1bps for the nano --> 3bps x +-3 weeks = empty 2kg bottle). I'm using teflon on all of my fittings (which are already very thight). Is there something that I can use to fill the leak? Like some sort of sealant?

Thanks,
Gilles

are you using teflon on the screw threads? If so have a read here as its not advised for co2 - http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=14844&hilit=co2+ptfe

Re your drop checker as bob said try it an hour before tomorow and see what its like when the lights go on. If it doesnt help then do it 2 hours before the day after and check then. When your lights come on it should be at the green/lime level that you require throughout the day. dont forget also to turn it off about an hour before as the plants dont need it as much at the end of the lighting period.

Thanks for the fast replies!

The co2 is injected two hours prior to the light and is shut off 2 hours before the lighting goes out. I guess I need to increase the co2 then?

Interesting read on the teflon tape, will look iknto that!

yup, sounds like u need to up your co2 slightly or check your flow to make sure its being pushed around the tank properly. a change in flow can have an effect on the amount of co2 being absorbed by the water (not so much with up atomisers)

Flow is ok, I can see the tiny co2 bubbles throughout the entire tank. Only the left front corner has less co2 due to the filter inlet being placed in the left back corner. I've increased the co2 of my nano tank, the bigger tank will have to wait (I'm away this weekend and the nano tank doesn't have any fauna atm, perfect for testing :D )

I used Swagelok leak detector (works MUCH better than soap!) and found three leaks that I did not see earlier: one at the main connection, one at the solenoid and one at a tube fitting. The last two are easily fixed but the main connection might be a problem. I don't know how to fix this, the little piece of material between the nut and the bottle connection looks OK and is well positioned, yet there's a leak. Any ideas?

Back