• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Drop checker sudden change

Karacticus

I came home from work today and my drop checker seems to have changed from the attached photo to the bright lime green, which everyone talks about.

Weird thing is that I haven't touched the regulator for a while now.

Annoyingly, I didn't photograph it, and have just done a water change and replaced the drop checker solution, which had been in there for a while too.

Any ideas what happened? Nobody has been in the cabinet. Old solution?

I am going away tomorrow lunchtime for a week, so don't want to gas my fish if there's an issue. Should I turn the bubble count down or leave?

The pressure gauges and reactor all look fine.

pH was where it normally was. 🤷‍♂️

Livestock appears fine.

Attachments

• 20231006_183030.jpg
    20231006_183030.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 85
Difficult to say without knowing more details really, but as for the holiday I'd probably be inclined to lower both the Co2 and lighting a little, I assume you won't be dosing any fertaliser either, so it will slow everything down a little until your back.

If it was me l would turn the CO2 off for the time your away and possibly if you can adjust the lighting , most plants shouldn't be that bad on your return, then you have time to work out the issue

If it was me l would turn the CO2 off for the time your away and possibly if you can adjust the lighting , most plants shouldn't be that bad on your return, then you have time to work out the issue
To be honest this is probably the safest answer in the face of an 'unknown' as you really need to be there if checks or adjustments need to be made.

There could be lots of reasons for fluctuations and you haven't really got time to problem solve them in such a short space of time.

Worry about it when your back, and safe travels!

On my 50l if i missed the cleaning of my eheim skim the loss in flow and surface agitation resulted in an increased pH drop so had to keep it cleaned regularly. Lossed all the RCS once as failed to clean before holiday. It was a fish less tank.
So may well be worth cleaning filters, plus is tank in need of a trim, as lots of plants has the same affect on flow

On my 50l if i missed the cleaning of my eheim skim the loss in flow and surface agitation resulted in an increased pH drop so had to keep it cleaned regularly. Lossed all the RCS once as failed to clean before holiday. It was a fish less tank.
So may well be worth cleaning filters, plus is tank in need of a trim, as lots of plants has the same affect on flow
Thanks @Zeus. Sorry, didn't get notified of your message for some reason. Turned it off and came back and it was mostly fine. I've generally been cleaning the cannister filter each month - usually the prefilter is gunked up but the main filter hardly touched, but I have promised myself to clean it more frequently. Think the planting is okay, got rid of a load of stuff blocking flow like my giant swords. Gone for valis at the back which hopefully provides for more of a sweep across the back with my powerhead.

Did a CO2 profile yesterday (great little app). It suggested I'm injecting too much CO2 and need to set it earlier, but my DC is a nice apple green each day and my livestock seem happy and healthy - never seen a sign of distress or sluggishness.

What do I rely most on? DC or the profile?

Should I dial it down a touch?

Lastly, there is some pH deviation between readings on a TDS pen. More than the 0.1 we should work to. Are these to be expected on a larger tank?

PS: picked up some Super Red bristlenose yesterday! Lovely fish.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231104_200156.jpg
    Screenshot_20231104_200156.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20231104_200140.jpg
    Screenshot_20231104_200140.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 20231006_183030.jpg
    20231006_183030.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 52
  • 20231104_175034.jpg
    20231104_175034.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 42
Did a CO2 profile yesterday
Great, worth repeating over several days IMO
It suggested I'm injecting too much CO2
Anything over a lime green colour 'may' be dangerous, so it is just going by safe guidelines
It suggested to set it earlier

ideally the pH/[CO2] should be 'relatively stable' from lights on for the first 4 to 5 hours ( which is advised by our CO2 Guru @ceg4048 ) so the there is some room for improvement.

my livestock seem happy and healthy - never seen a sign of distress or sluggishness.
Great.
What do I rely most on? DC or the profile?

Both, profile at first once stable the profile is only needed occasionally, the DC is the quick easy daily check to check that everything is fine. As plants grow and demand changes the DC colour may change which indicates something has changed, so do a new pH profile
Should I dial it down a touch?
Your call depending on your aims, with a lower injection rate the CO2 will last longer. changing the injection rates (or any changes for that matter) need a new pH profile.
Lastly, there is some pH deviation between readings on a TDS pen. More than the 0.1 we should work to. Are these to be expected on a larger tank?
Yes, and different from day to day with some pH devices (dependant on quality of device). try not to compare the pH reading from one day to the next, focus on the pH change overall each day. If the DC colour change is the same the pH reading doesn't matter its the DC colour change and relative pH drop that counts.
The 0.1pH variation is pH is what I used and it worked well for me, its not an obsolete, most of the guidelines are just guidelines - which have been put together form folk with detailed knowledge and/or successfully experience of CO2, so worth considering IMO

Back