• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

Drop checker.

I know that a drop checker is a fairly essential bit of kit and I have one on order, is there another way to tell if I am not dosing too much co2 till it arrives. I’m currently dosing 1 bubble/sec in a 55l nano. I want to add livestock now that it’s cycled but don’t want to kill the fish. Or should I just wait till I have the bits I need.

You can use a pH pen if you have one which would give an instant reading rather than a reading of 2hrs ago like the drop checker. But to be honest I wouldn't risk stocking until I had the drop checker or ph pen, not just for the fish but it's also easier to dial in the co2 when there's no livestock (just in case you make a mistake etc).
Without a drop checker you could be putting in too much or too little and adjusting the co2 when fully stocked is hard work on you and your livestock. 👍

Just checked the ph and it’s 6.4 when the tap water is 7.2 but the slight concern that can be rectified with a water change is the KH. The tap water is 12 but the tank is 2 so not ideal for shrimp or snails. I’ll just wait for the drop checker to arrive and look to possibly stock next weekend.

Active substrate maybe? I know this sucks up KH.

2KH shouldn't cause you any problems.
Possibly, just seemed a big difference considering he has a near neutral ph. I have similar water and the substrate never made much of a difference at all.
Was just curious really.

Last edited:
Back