• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Drop counters from Hong Kong

Mar10

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a drop checker, the cheapest are on ebay for around £5 inc P&P but they are shipped from Hong Kong.

My question is, are there any import taxes or additional charges for importing these which would then bump them up to the prices charged in the U.K shops or does it really work out so much cheaper to buy them from overseas as long as you don't mind the wait?

Many thanks,
Martin

there are no hidden surprises regarding import tax. its cheaper over there because manufacturing over there is so much cheaper. like you said if you dont mind waiting then its worth it.

This tells you what you need to know.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/tax-and-duty.htm

In many cases low value items don't attract the attention of HM customs. If it does get stopped you can expect to pay VAT and in some cases import duty as well. What tends to hurt most though is the "handling fee" that the agent delivering the item charges. I've had to pay over £8.00 in the past for this on top of the duty and VAT ... :?

Ah yes, the handling fee, I'd forgotten about that one.

So it is really a gamble, you could get a real bargain or end up paying import duty, VAT and a handling fee on an item that could reach you damaged?!

I know to some, it's only a few quid but it is also the time wasted to get back to square one.

Yes, it is a H.K item with all the aggro taken out for a couple of quid extra!
Good spot, added to my watch list.

Have to say I had fluid with my DC from HK and it never worked. It was in a ANS bottle. I did post about it at the time if I can find it again.

Back