dry ferts not dissolving

Discussion in 'Aquarium Fert Dosing' started by johnny70, 13 Feb 2008.

1. johnny70

johnny70 Member

I have been dosing with Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4) and GH Booster. I'm mixing;

3tsp KN03
    1/2tsp KH2P04
    1/2tsp GH Booster
    500ml Water

I'm pretty sure that the GH booster is the one NOT dissolving into the water, I have tried tank water, tap water, boiled water, all with the same result, sediment in the bottom of the jar after an hour or two.

Any idea's?

Regards,
    JOHNNY 8)

2. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

Hi Johnny,
    I think that's just life with GH Booster. I think it has Iron Sulfate and Magnesium Sulfate in it, both of which have lower solubility than the nitrate and phosphate salts. If I'm dosing GH Booster I normally would just put a pinch in the tank after water change and let it go at that. Maybe someone else has a clever idea. In any case, could you not just shake vigorously and dose the mixture? After a while whatever you dosed will dissolve.

Cheers,

3. johnny70

johnny70 Member

Ok, cool, I just shake the mix and dose, doesn't seem to be a problem, just wondered why it was doing it.

Cheers,
    JOHNNY

4. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

I always have problems with the Equilibrium I use with my RO water dissolving very slowly, however I find that RO Right dissolves almost instantly so you could switch to that from your GH booster.

5. johnny70

johnny70 Member

TBH I'm not even sure I'll keep adding it, I was adding it after advice from here, I could dose MgS04 instead. We have very soft water(0/1kh)
    Whats RO Right?

Cheers,
    JOHNNY

6. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

See here

RO Right's a powder to remineralise RO water. Bascially it adds magnesium, calcium and a few other things. Basically it does the same as your GH booster.