• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DRY FERTS STAIGHT INTO THE TANK

tribalbrit

Seedling
HI,
I've been adding ferts to my tank via diluted solution for some time but have now moved up to a larger tank and would appriciate confirmation of quantities of dry powder required if added staight to the tank with out pre mixing first.
Tank is 750lt. lighting 2w per gall. CO2 reading on the lighter green..

Powders used are
Potasium Sulphate every other day
Potasium Nitrate same day as above
Monopatasium Phosphate same day as above. (small amount)

Magnisium Sulphate once a week

Trace every other alternate day

Any advise would be great Thanks

i over dose a lot on the same size tank so i can say you need not worry
every day i add
2tsp kno3
1tsp potassium sulphate
1/4tsp potassium phosphate
my plants may not be in great health but the fish are fine ive been told and checked 1/2 this dose is just over the ei formula so id start there if if i were you. I'm hoping Clive finds a fault with my tap water to fix my plants.

tribalbrit said:
HI,
I've been adding ferts to my tank via diluted solution for some time but have now moved up to a larger tank and would appriciate confirmation of quantities of dry powder required if added staight to the tank with out pre mixing first.
Tank is 750lt. lighting 2w per gall. CO2 reading on the lighter green..
Hi,
A 750L can be considered a 200 USG tank which makes it 10X the size of the reference 20G as listed in the article The Estimative Index (EI) Dosing with Dry Salts

Therefore you can use the following sample baseline scheme:
Sunday – 50% or more Water Change then dose [2 teaspoon KNO3] + [1 teaspoon KH2PO4] + [5 teaspoon MgSO4]
Monday – 1 teaspoon Trace mix
Tuesday - [2 teaspoon KNO3] + [1 teaspoon KH2PO4] + [5 teaspoon MgSO4]
Wednesday - 1 teaspoon Trace mix
Thursday - [2 teaspoon KNO3] + [1 teaspoon KH2PO4] + [5 teaspoon MgSO4]
Friday – Rest
Saturday - Rest

Depending on your water, you may find that you can reduce the Epsom Salts but this is a good start. K2SO4 is completely unnecessary in this scheme.

Cheers,

Thanks for that! I was hoping that you would post a reply..
Gary.. :thumbup:

Looking again I would agree that the Mgso4 might be a little bit much but I'm also wondering if the KH2PO4 might be a little high also.
I was under the impresion, maybe wrongly, that this should be used in small amounts.
I see your point in not needingthe K2SO4.
Thanks

Hi,
KH2PO4 used in small amounts results in small amounts of growth. Depending on the amount of plant mass, that tank could easily devour 5X that amount and will greedily ask for more.

Cheers,

Thanks again, have started today with a 50% water change and the dosing as your recomendation.
Thanks

Back