• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

dry salts together

gargamelcz

Seedling
Hi,
I was wondering, if I could mix dry salts together into one bag. Then, I would just grab some of this mixture (specific amount) of dry salts and put it together with water. It would be much easier for me, because I could use just one plastic bag.
Is it possible, that dry salts together in one bag (CSM+B, Fe DTPA, KNO3, KH2PO4, MgSO4) will be react with each other? I'm talking about mixture of DRY salts, not about mixture of dry salts with water (soution). I hope you understand. Thanks.

I wouldnt mix the micro and macro nutrients together because you would want to alternate between the two. I could be wrong

Hello, thanks for your respond. I'm using my own mixture of dry salts, something like Tropica plant nutrition in form of powder if you know what I mean. It is special ratio of all kinds of Fe chelates, K2SO4, makro etc. which I developed after years of tests. I just add more ml from solution when my tank has bigger amount of plant mass, but ratio remains the same.
But I don't want to have 10 bottles of this solution in my fridge. It takes a lot of space and it is not fresh.

EXAMPLE:
I know, that my mixture for 500 ml solution should contain:
10g of CSM+B
15g of K2SO4
If I want mixture for 10 bottles, I would just put 10x10 grams of CSM+B to bucket and 150 grams of K2SO4 and stir it together. Than, I would take 1/10 to my bottle with 500 ml of water.

This is not really a good idea. They are fine together when they are dry, I do understand that, but that was never a problem. The problem comes when they go into the aquarium together which is wet right? Then you could have have a problem. What you are talking about is the concept of an all-in-one mix and in order to do that you can use the JamesC TPN+ simulation as described => http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/allinone.htm

Having said that though, I noted that you are using DTPA chelated Fe instead of EDTA, so what might happen is that the EDTA Fe that is part of the CSM+B fall out of solution with some PO4 but the FE that is in the DTPA might be more resistant to precipitation. Whatever...it's a lottery and you might get lucky but this is not generally a good procedure. Try it and see what happens.

Cheers,

Thank you ceg,
thats shouldn't be a problem. I studied a lot of forums and I know about problem with KH2PO4+micro together. I'm adding dry vitamin C to reduce pH to 5.
My question applies to mixture of dry salts. Problem with dry salts + water is solved (I hope).

I'm also familiar with role of different kinds of chelates. For example in my high pH non CO2 tank I'm using mix of DTPA and EDHMA.

Hi and sorry to hijack.
Im currently dosing seperate macro and micro mixes, aswell as additional potassium on the same day into the tank one after another. Ive noticed over time the health of my plants seems to have deteriorated (with the same c02 and maintained plant mass). My floating plants are also not flourishing which suggests a nutrient deficiency, ive began upping the dosage but now question whether the ferts could be reacting negatively together eliminating some of the necessary nutrients? Is this likely or may there be something else at play. Would i be better dosing alternate days with volumes adjusted? Im also starting to suffer some gsa on my hygrophila leaves which i believe can be down to a phosphate deficiency? Any advice would be welcome. Lighting intensity and duration is unchanged.
I can move to a seperate thread if preferred.
Thanks,
Ady.

Back