• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dry start idiot questions

devo

Didn't know where else to post this... I'm dry starting my new tank. 8 litres of pond soil topped with 20 litres of cat litter (Sophisticat pink). Tank is 275 litres. Then I've made the schoolboy error of putting too much water in and using too much light. The too much water was only a few millimeters in one part of the tank, but I now have BGA in between the lumps of cat litter in one corner. So far all I've done is let the water levels decline naturally and move some of the litter to cover any wetter bits, but BGA is persistent stuff. Anyone any thoughts ? Also, I started on 20th Jan and now have zero Ammonia. I also have very low Nitrate levels. IS this normal ? Time to put the water in ?

David

Fill the tank slightly and suck the BGA out with airline. Then take the water back down to normal levels.

You're testing the cycle before you've got it running? You're keen! I would fill it once you're happy the plants have rooted nicely. You might well find a bit of die-back while the plants adapt to being underwater, so I'd wait until they're growing and stable again before adding livestock.

Hi Tom
Thanks for that. Its a good tip easily done. I'm a long way off putting in any livestock yet. I'll probably fill the tank next week and give it a month or so of settling (and me fiddling about with it) before I think about any livestock.
Cheers
David

I'd personally do a blackout prior to filling in the tank. this is rather easy without water, has minimal impact on plants but is highly efficient against BGA.

Just my two pence.

GM

Back