• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dry start method tank - yellowing leaves

MedicMan

Hi all, I started a DSM tank a few months ago and after some trial and error, seem to have got the mix right - mostly.

I'm using amazonia soils with root tabs and a carpet of HC. The HC is spreading now and throwing off lots of runners, but I have noticed some older leaves are starting to look yellow.

The tank has 2*t5 and 1*led panel set at 40-50%. Temperature is kept around 20-24c and a clingfilm wrap is almost 24/7 with about 30 mins off while I mist the tank (weak ro:fert mixture, 2-3x a day). The substrate is very well saturated and no mold as yet.

I'm hoping this isn't something I can't fix! I'm wondering if this is either a deficiency or if it is fertiliser burn from the weak ro:fert mix (0.5ml aquavitro synthesis to 1.5l ro water)

The tank has been flooded and drained a few times to reduce some of the ammonia that was previously burning the leaves.

Any advice?
Pictures as follows
b96d760b957d6b071c4dc73e6fc38d5e.jpg

54479c3f390b5253c6d55b505f70de2b.jpg

990bf1410133211ddd84b75ec1527b5e.jpg

a7932408e6ba28f6c5e1d97aed0ef32c.jpg

You don't need to spray anything, just keep it sealed.
You can give it loads of light!
I have found by far the best results come from keeping the tank slightly warmer than the sounding air as this causes condensation & high humidity.
I use natural sun light if possible to get fast growth.

Hi Martin and fox,

Thanks so much for your responses. I'll cut the ferts and see how it goes.

The only reason I was adding ferts was because it seemed to help the fissidens along. Also, since I have flooded and drained the tank a few times, I was concerned there might not be any nutrients left in the soil.

Do you think cutting ferts in the mix would still be OK?

Once again, many thanks!

Please excuse grammar and spelling mistakes in this post. I'm posting from my phone/tablet.

Thanks for this Martin, I've turned it over to a pure RO mist and it seems to be getting no better or worse. I imagine it will be a few days more until I see a change

Please excuse grammar and spelling mistakes in this post. I'm posting from my phone/tablet.

Back