• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dutchi-gumi

Breif update will upload pics tomorrow.

The Nymphoides was thriving and now it has started melting, The only thing I can think of is that it may be sensitive to liquid Co2 afterall.

I also stumbled accross a thread on this forum discussing Nymphoides sp Taiwan and liquid carbon.

Deficiancy in Nymphoides sp Taiwan? | UK Aquatic Plant Society

I have stopped dosing easy carbo and upped the Co2 as high I dare go and according to my drop checkers I should have plenty Co2 all over the tank.

Fingers crossed this fixes the problem.

All of the Nymphoides Leaves have melted away, but i'm not too concerned as there is new growth at the base already.
I think it may be down to the Easy Carbo but I have no real evidence to support my theory other than they were thriving till I used it, so fingers crossed.

The Alternanthera which I thought was making a come back is almost non existent, I'm going to order some more next week if there are still no signs of improvement, I'm hoping they've only melted to adapt to their new environment.

The Diamond Reds at the back were getting really tall so I cut them and replanted the stems.

Everything else in the tank is showing real potential and growing quite well.

day17z.jpg

According to the Tropica app I can increase my photo period next week by 2 hours and reduce my water changes, however I will only increase it by 1 hour and will not reduce water changes just yet.

I have also ordered an UP Atomiser in an effort to ensure good Co2 levels and to allow me to have less equipment in the tank. Plus a black background is on it's way to me as we speak so you don't have to look at my half painted wall, lol.

Got an over tank light unit and a black background, just waiting for my up atomiser to arrive. Will do a proper update once it's all set up.

3 week update.

Lights
The new APS light system is now up and running, I'm only using two of the four lights and a 7 hour photoperiod.
I know how much we all love pics so I took this one for you (sorry about the photo quality)

photo1qy.jpg

Ferts
I have gone from dosing 10mil of macro and trace to 15mil.
My regime is:
Macro.... Mon - Wed - Friday
Trace..... Tues - Thurs
Rest....... Sat - Sun

Water Changes
50% water change on Sunday (Big clean, Trimming when it's needed)
30% water change on Wednesdays (This is to remove any scum, floating leaves etc)

I have also added a black background, see below.
photo3hy.jpg

Plants
I bought some more Althernanthera Reinekii I hope this batch does better now that I'm using two T5's rather than the one I had when I first started this tank.
The Nyphoides sp Taiwan is making a nice recovery, one question on this plant tho, do I need to remove the stems with no leaves from the base of the plant?

I'm still waiting for my inline atomiser and if the tank does well, I will treat it to some nice glass lily pipes ;)

Hope you like the update.

Got the Up Atomiser fitted over the weekend :D

I did get a small amount of fine green algae so I've dialled back on the ferts slightly till the plants get bigger.

Considering adding more Eleocharis sp 'mini' to help it fill in a bit faster but beyond that I'm happy with how things are going.

From the front
photo1wmi.jpg

From the side
download4a.jpg

Diamond Red, Pogostemon, Nymphoides, Alternanthera
download5y.jpg

Staurogyne, Hygrophila
download3da.jpg

Eleocharis
download2ks.jpg

Looking really nice mate, some good growth and all looking healthy.
How's the latest alternathera doing?

Cheers Ady.

The new Alternanthera has almost doubled in a week, I think the issue was light.

I had a look around in a pet shop and found that you can buy bulbs for this tank from the manufacturer "for plants".
I then had a bit of a google and found that the ones I had in, had almost no red in the spectrum and the plants ones have alot, this doesn't really mean much to me tbh, but if the manufacturer is selling replacement lighting for these tanks for people who want to grow plants then the standard lighting must be pretty crappy.....thats why I bought the APS fixture.

Also what a difference the atomiser makes!!!!! lower bubble rate and greeny yellow everywhere in the tank :)

Also when the Co2 shuts off the plants are pearling, a nice little novelty as I've never seen it before.

Pleased to hear its going well mate.
I'm sure your improved growth will be more to do with improvements in co2 via your atomiser. Nothing wrong with a bit of red in a light though, brings out the reds in plants and I bet your cherry shrimp look a deeper shade too :)
Nice to have pearling, its not the be all and end all, but it sure feels good to see it!
Cheerio,
Ady.

Thanks mate,

Hmmmm could that be why I had holes in some leaves? I think I read something by "the ceg" along the lines of (holes in leaves always co2) not really sure tbh, I may have made that up, lol.

I hadn't noticed the shrimp but they do seem more vibrant, I'm hoping they breed and fill my tank up. Also getting some Gold Otos for this tank.

Yeah the pearling is kinda cool, but not something I'm going to try and achieve. First time I've ever seen it in real life so it is a nice little novelty :)

Only development this week is I have increased photoperiod by 1 hour and keeping ferts at the same level.

Just done a big clean and removed some leaves, will post a more detailed update next weekend with pictures.

Hey guys,

An update for this tank is long overdue. As you can see from the picture below my scape has evolved a little.

evnu.jpg

Good to see you back mate.
Tank has filled out well :thumbup:
Cheerio,
Ady.

Looking good mate, I see your rocks are spreading too. :)

Cheers james i do love those black lava rocks, thing is tho they are only active when the lights are off, but they are quite easy to propogate if you provide a balaced nutritious substrate, they also eat hair algae, lol.

I did like the way i had originally but I thought the scape was starting to get a bit old, so i mixed things up a little, i may also add hc or something similar to the two front corners where i uprooted the hairgrass.

Back