• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dwarf Gourami Help

Tankless

Any idea what these things are on the Dwarf Gourami?

IMG_3335.jpeg
IMG_3332.jpeg
IMG_3333.jpeg
IMG_3331.jpeg

Farther, sun and the holy ghost. Aka iridovirus, sorry I didn't answer the earlier thread
Welp, my first and last dwarf gourami. I’ll be taking it back to Maidenhead Aquatics on Thursday. Do the Red Robin Gouramis suffer from this as well?

Thanks, will have a look at what other non gourami fish I can get in exchange of it.

@Tankless - Did you manage to get an exchange?

That Gourami has been sick for a good while, should not have been sold in the 1st place. You can see that its body has already showing signs of wasting away. You can also see that is showing HITH aswell in one pic. The store will euthanise it straight away and should offer you something else.

Last edited:
@Tankless - Did you manage to get an exchange?

I couldn’t get it out of the tank without damaging the plants as it keeps going to the right hand side which has a lot more cover. After 5 minutes I gave up and have decided that it can live out the remainder of its life comfortably.

What’s HITH?

Hole In The Head.

I couldn’t get it out of the tank without damaging the plants as it keeps going to the right hand side which has a lot more cover. After 5 minutes I gave up and have decided that it can live out the remainder of its life comfortably.

What’s HITH?
no get it out as it will spread hole in the head to the other tankmates

live out the remainder of its life comfortably
I'm sorry, but I don't think it will be very comfortable, with at least two wasting diseases. And as @Gill says the HITH is likely to spread to your other fish. I would treat the tank for HITH as a precaution.

I’ve lost two Phantom Tetra today. Is this HITH?

I also returned the dwarf gourami today and opted against getting another.

IMG_3367.jpeg
IMG_3366.jpeg
IMG_3365.jpeg

More pictures:
IMG_3368.jpeg

IMG_3369.jpeg

IMG_3372.jpeg

IMG_3373.jpeg

The phantom tetra in the last two images at the top isn’t doing too good either.
IMG_3375.jpeg
IMG_3376.jpeg

Not HITH, but not seeing any obvious signs to cause sudden death. Though the mouths stuck.open does remind me of something, but can't place it.

A bit odd that we had Dwarf Gourami disease and now two sudden deaths of Tetras - with @Tankless reporting another one looking sick.

Wondering if we need to pivot our thinking what could be going on here? Or am I overthinking this?

Maybe stating obvious but, as I understand it no one openly is a fish vet, and fish diseases are so tricky to diagnose it’s all educated guesses. What can look like one thing in one pic, is something else in another and context can often alter diagnosis.

There is a nice flow chart in a TFH book about fish diseases, I’ll find a link; It shows the overlapping and complexity of diagnosis.

Yep - ‘diagnosis by wire’ is hard. But I also understand why people reach out and that people want to help.

I lost 3 black phantom tetras. All 3 died after the removal of the dwarf gourami. During the capture of the DG one of the pieces of the hardscape wood did lift up accidentally which was previously buried in the soil which could be a cause. I’m not sure. The only other thing that changed was that all of the fish now go crazy and fight over pleco bug bites. Some of the pieces that they carry around in their mouth are huge.

Physically, I couldn’t see anything wrong with either of the 3. The last of the three was hovering around the top of tank and eventually lost balance and died after I removed it from the tank. I did a 50% water change last night and will keep an eye on the tank over the next few days. All of the other Espei Rasboras, Pleco and 1 zebra loach are fine.

Back