• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DYI yeast CO2 question

Heelllooo

First off I know this is not a technique really appreciated on this forum and I'm aware of all the downsides it has.

But one downside that is always advance is that you can't turn it off at night.

Would it not just be easy to put the diffuser above the water line when the light goes out and put it back in the water sometime before they start.

The only problem I see is that I will be dumping all the production into the air and so losing some efficiency.

Am I missing something ?

There is nothing wrong with you manually moving the diffuser at night. Just move it back in some time before the time when you expect the gas to flow, as it needs to build up the pressure.

But I also don't see any reason not to let it working non-stop. Three negatives bonus points! Anyways, in a tank with proper water circulation, you shouldn't see much of a difference between the diluted CO2 at day or night, since most of the CO2 is lost to the atmosphere and not absorbed by plants.

But if you want to automate it somehow, you can do so with an extra circulation pump or air compressor working at night to help degassing the water, or by using a reactor with a dedicated pump that only works during the day (and some form of overflow for the gas, to prevent it from accumulating at night and choking the reactor). Or even a dedicated circulation pump with a Venturi to break down the gas bubbles...

When I used DIY CO2, during lights out I just had a strong air pump going, actually worked pretty well (depends where you have it, can be noisy, if in a bedroom) I found out that using two bottles linked together and alternate making the solution every other week in each bottle created the most stable CO2.

mmm Home brew and CO2, win win.
If you use fizzy drink bottles I'm sure they could withstand the CO2 pressure overnight if you put the caps on them (turned off).
Another way I saw was a fish shop in San Francisco I think, used bottles with the base cut off in his tanks and he filled them from a fire extinguisher every morning - and the CO2 dissolved out of the base and you could see the water moving up the bottle was a You tube video

So to explain myself , my tank is already limit in term of water circulation I think and I'm afraid for my fish health even though the tank is 70L so I don't know if there really is a risk.
This is why I don't want to have the CO2 at night.
And I would like not to have tons of equipment in the tank.

So I bought one of this :
HS robinet valve
I will not be able to automate it of course.
But in the long run If high tech feels right to me, I will go down the FE or SodaStream route.
When I used DIY CO2, during lights out I just had a strong air pump going, actually worked pretty well (depends where you have it, can be noisy, if in a bedroom)
My wife wouldn't accept it ahah.

There is a certain aroma.
This is clearly what I missed ahah.
Is it that potent ?
I think I will know soon.

I would run the DIY CO2 into the venturi pipe of a <Skim-1> and put it on a timer.
I've never used one of those. I don't understand how it would help ?

mmm Home brew and CO2, win win.
If you use fizzy drink bottles I'm sure they could withstand the CO2 pressure overnight if you put the caps on them (turned off).
I'm never gonna do that.. I wouldn't sleep.

Another way I saw was a fish shop in San Francisco I think, used bottles with the base cut off in his tanks and he filled them from a fire extinguisher every morning - and the CO2 dissolved out of the base and you could see the water moving up the bottle was a You tube video
I've seen this. Pretty cool ! But I already want to ditch my internal filter so I don't want to put a half bottle in the tank.

www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003908303365.html?

I have 0 personal experience with this but these sets are already on the market for quite a while... Some are made from plastic others like this one from alloy. It contains a pressure gauge, safety valve, solenoid and needle valve. It's designed for the PET bottle and a standard PET bottle is pressure tested at average normal ambient temperatures around 150 PSI (10 ATM). The safety valve in the rig will automatically open at around 60 PSI (4 ATM)or can be used manually to release pressure.

As said never used it and no idea how much pressure can be built up with DIY CO² generators such as with Yeast or Citric acid and Soda.

As far as I can make up from the description they do not contain a regulator only a needle valve to set the bubble count. I guess depending on the pressure in the bottle you need to be on top of it a lot to regulate it.

I remember Roy's journal about his 1st aquascape with DIY Co² and he used it very successfully with a less advanced setup than this. So it definitively can be done... :)

Back