• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dying Amanos

worwood

I found one of my Amano's yesterday being oddly still during a water change; normally they either avoid me completely or follow me around hoping I'll have unearthed something tasty for them to eat. A gentle nudge made it obvious something wasn't right and the poor shrimp didn't seem to have the strength to move. A couple of hours later said shrimp on was his back and dead :(

Thinking back i've actually lost about 4 shrimp over about 4 months and didn't think anything of it but water tests after each one show the water quality is fine (ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5).

I think it might have been Porcelain Illness as I've read they can be very lethargic with this illness, but I find it hard to notice with the Amanos if they are cloudy/milky or not. Has anyone had a similar experience or have any experience with Porcelain Illness or know if it's treatable?

Not heard of this illness before sorry. I have kept Amano though and found them as hard as nails, so if you've lost 4 in 4 months certainly sounds as though somethings not right. Hope you get it sorted.

Not kept Amano's but have had the same sort of thing going on with cherries. They seem fine for weeks then I start to lose them but it's like 1 every week or 2. If anything, I suspect the Easycarbo in my case, but again would expect more consistent death rates.

If it was a water quality issue then you would expect more than the odd one here and there to perish. Sorry I can't help more.

Back