• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

easy carb and high light

danmil3s

i think i all ready know everyone's going to say no, but i was wondering and thought it was worth asking. if i overdose easycarb in a plant only tank @ say X6 +. Then add silly amounts of light and high ferts and good flow would i get fast growth or do i still need pressurised co2. Any thoughts appreciated thanks guys

i was just wondering because i have a 26l nano i planted 2 weeks ago, but no money to buy the reg and solenoid yet (its all going on my main tank). so im using some left over easycarb before i get the reg and add shrimp. but nothing seems to be growing. ive got some down lighters kicking around was thinking about bodgeing something up to speed things along. never mind guess ill just have to find some thing else to fiddle with thanks for the advice.

Hi danmil3s

I certainly wouldn't be chucking more light at it at this stage. That's a surefire way to a tank full of algae.
As this tank has only been planted for 2 weeks, the plants are still adapting to their new environment so you may not see any noticeable growth in the first 3-4 weeks. They would benefit from easycarbo dosing (not necessarily overdosing) to get them off to a good start.
So you'll just have to be patient I'm afraid.

Some plants in my tank have been there months and are just starting to get some decent grow rates now, like CJ says two weeks is too early to tell. If you trimmed the roots down before planting time will be needed to establish better root growth then the plant above the gravel will grow better.
Easy Carbo has two properties, a form of carbon the plants can utilise and a biocide which kills of algae amongst other things. The high dose rates you mention would be more associated with killing off algae, if you have no problems with algae then stick to just over the recommended dose if you want to be sure they're getting enough anything higher is just a waste. You could also set up a diy co2 setup on a tank of that size running along side the EC.

I wouldn't see slow growth in a 2 week old aquarium as being co2 related just yet, but there's still time :D

thanks guys just wanted to speed things along a bit, and wondered if easy carb was up to it. im going to set up one of my FEs just need to get a reg,then ill stop using easycarb and put some shrimp in. For now Ill carry on doing what im doing there is a bit off BAA on the wood so i need to kill that. thanks for you help

While your still using the EC spray it from a syringe directly on the BBA which should kill it off. On the subject of lighting for speeding up growth, increasing it will speed it up it goes without saying but ONLY if everything else is brought up to speed with the lights, ferts and co2. Be out on either or and algae will be with you for a long time.

On my set up I have moderate lighting and a few algae probs being compounded by not giving the tank the attention it needs due to work commitments, rather than second guessing the co2 and when or what to dose I have just kept my usual routine but knocked off one of my 20 watt tubes.

The plants are healthy, not growing as fast as they were but that's not a problem as I'm not around to trim it down anyway but it means there is less problems going to be there when I get back.

my tank only really has low lighting at the moment 11w bulb about 200mm above water and surrounded by black on 3 sides. i am dossing the easycarb straight on to the BBA seems to be working. maybe i wont increase light but i will be going pressurised. just need to get a few bits for my main tank first. while i have no live stock in this tank seems like a good idea to play around with it.

while i have no live stock in this tank seems like a good idea to play around with it.

Ok I see what you mean, not sure what you mean by playing around with it I guess you mean trying different things to see what gets best results. Considering your tank has been running for two week you don't want to be trying too many variations.
It's generally considered that if you are going to change anything in your tank then you should do if for about 3 weeks then see how your change affected things. It will take this long for your plants to adjust to the change and show the result of it.
A lot if not all algae related problems are brought about about due to fluctuating co2 nutrient levels and lighting levels. Playing around is going make the plants confused for the want of a more precise description as to what they require. Check other posts in the forum regarding this but in brief the amount of light and water conditions then directly affects the needs from ferts and co2 that are required.

Start with the lights and amount of plants, then provide the ferts and the co2 at the top end of the dosing scale for your size tank and if you need to adjust anything do it gradually after you have had time to see the results.

Trying a bit of this and a bit of that without knowing it will affect things and not being able to pin point what change created the problem is a recipe for disaster.

AverageWhiteBloke said:
while i have no live stock in this tank seems like a good idea to play around with it.

Start with the lights and amount of plants, then provide the ferts and the co2 at the top end of the dosing scale for your size tank and if you need to adjust anything do it gradually after you have had time to see the results.

Trying a bit of this and a bit of that without knowing it will affect things and not being able to pin point what change created the problem is a recipe for disaster.

This plant business is more about patience that "messing" around to see what works and do not. :)

You can still do it, but in terms of trying for two to three weeks, then seeing the results. Algae responds much faster to changes than plants. :)

This plant business is more about patience that "messing" around to see what works and do not.

Patience and stability are the two main factors, plants like being in the right conditions constantly. Like Luis says the algae will thrive in changing conditions as there not really fussed about the changes. The plants on the other hand need time to adapt and in the mean time while they are weakened the algae will take full advantage of the situation.

Algae problems are easily started and a PITA to get rid of so don't encourage it It doesn't need encouragement. It will even do well in a well maintained tank :)

maybe ill just leave it be, but id still like to experiment my 750 is doing ok after all the teething problems. so i think i understand what is needed now. but just for learnings sake if co2 ferts and flow are right shouldn't i be able to add more light. i understand this could make the tank unstable, but if its just the one change to max levels and the plants where all ready healthy. could this not work. no ammonia no algae. just a thought i already have a fluval 205 on the tank, even have a spare i could use as well. with no live stock co2 could be way above 30 ppm. ferts could be double dosed. and a %50 water change done every other or every day for a week or two. now the other tanks ticking a long i feel i need another project/challenge. i know you guys are against rushing it but i like the idea of a rapidly changing tank.

No good reason not to add more light other than what as been mentioned. Some say higher light brings out differences in the plants with regards to shape colour. With respect on dosing what method are you using? If your using the EI method then doubling up would not have much difference I guess, EI by it's very nature is supplying more ferts than the plants can theoretically use even with very high lighting so ferts should not be a problem.
The main thing would be making sure you have sufficient co2 and that it was well circulated to get round to every plant. I think we are still on about the 26 ltr tank not your 750 :? if we are then yes experiment while there are no fish in there yet as you can go over the top with the co2 without the risk of killing any fish.

Most people experiment by reducing things as a cost cutting exercise more than anything, in a high light tank if you dose EI and provide plenty of co2 well circulated there isn't much left to experiment with. People in this forum have already done the experimenting for you and now pretty much know what needs to be done. The art is keeping them parameters at all times and as long as you do you should have no problems.

The problems arise when you don't maintain what we already understand are the needs of the plants.

stilll talking about the 26l. im dosing the same levels as ei, just instead of every other day ive split it and dose daily. cost cuttings not really some thing ive bothered thinking about. its such a small tank using the dry ferts i all ready have i dont even notice. i really just wanted to see what really fast growth looked like in an unlimited tank.i think i can get the balance be a good test of what iv learnt ill give it a go and let you know how i get on. nothing to lose thanks for your help.

Crack on m8 see how it goes that's what it's all about. Your better off trying it with the 26ltr, definitely cheaper anyway.
You have the option of reducing lighting should you get any problems.

I look forward to hearing about the results.

Back