• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Easy foreground carpet plant

Jaap

Hello,

please suggest an easy foreground carpet plant. HC might form a good carpet foreground but it might also form a thick carpet which will uproot easily as I found out. lilaeopsis brasiliensis seems to be difficult as many people suggest and utricularia graminifolia seems that it has high light and co2 demands with a very soft water which I don't have.

I might be mistaken though...any suggestions?

Thanks

Yeah MC will grow in anything. L. brasiliensis is also slow but steady in pretty much any conditions.

I like a mixed carpet approach - mix 3 or 4 different species (eg MC, L. brasiliensis, hairgrass and whatever that stuff I got from Alastair is called), then stuff will fill in at different heights and speeds and you get a nicely textured look where gaps are less obvious.

Marsilea is a good carpeter and pretty hardy. It forms deeper roots than HC and doesn't grow over the top of itself like HC does to make a thicker and thicker carpet. I have hirsuta in my 180l and it grows a couple of cm tall, or you can get 1-2 grow crenata which stays smaller, more like glosso.

Back