• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Echinodorus Rubin red leafs melting

Puntius

Hello all.

I think I already know the answer, I added this stunning sword a few weeks ago and just wanted it to settle before adding root tabs to its roots. I have noticed last night that the older leaves are busy melting kinda see-through leaves. Could this be the main cause as I am dosing ei with pressurized co2 and very good water flow 19 times the water area 250 liter tank 4500 liters per hour 19 times water volume. Please assist. All leaves are gently swaying nicely around..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi
It is old emersed leaves dying.It is normal during the transitionof the plant to life under water for them to do so just trim them off.Is there nice new growth?If there is.All is good.
Regards Konsa

Any other inputs on this. Things is the leaves all grew nicely for weeks and all of a sudden started dying of. Very uncommon, still think it might be cause I didn't add root tabs for them

Well,you make no mention of what nutrient's are available to the water column?
If substrate is inert? and no water column dosing,then the plant has little to draw from.
As mentioned.. it is not uncommon for plant's such as echinodorus to lose a few or nearly all leaves developed under emmersed condition's, and grow new leaves more suited for completely submerged condition's.
This can happen over a period of several week's.(6 to 8)
So long as new growth leaves are developing,then no worries.
Echinodorus are nutrient hogs, and have noted that they can out compete for nutrient's with just about any plant placed near them.
Root tabs are often made up of mostly iron but plant's need more than just iron to perform well.
I have two large echinodorus growing up and out of 300 litre low tech tank with soil substrate nearly four inches deep and weekly addition of macro/micro nutrient's to the water and plant food spike added under each one monthly.

Last edited:
Well,you make no mention of what nutrient's are available to the water column?
If substrate is inert? and no water column dosing,then the plant has little to draw from.
As mentioned.. it is not uncommon for plant's such as echinodorus to lose a few or nearly all leaves developed under emmersed condition's, and grow new leaves more suited for completely submerged condition's.
This can happen over a period of several week's.(6 to 8)
So long as new growth leaves are developing,then no worries.
I did mention I dose ei and also co2, looks like there are one or two new leaves Like i said I added root tabs and as with my other swords when I added root tabs it started booming crazy a week later. So hope the rubin gets growing again

I did mention I dose ei and also co2, looks like there are one or two new leaves Like i said I added root tabs and as with my other swords when I added root tabs it started booming crazy a week later. So hope the rubin gets growing again

OOPs my apologies:rolleyes:, does indeed indicate EI dosing which should (if truly EI values), ensure enough nutrient's to draw from independent of root tabs that sometimes are little more than iron by %.
I use Miracle Grow plant food spikes pushed deep into substrate.

Back