• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Echinodorus tenellus and acicularis pruning.

discusdan

Hey all.

I have quite a large amount of tenellus in my tank and a small amount of acicularis.

I got the tenellus as a carpeting plant and while its growing upwards its not really spreading out much so I am wanting to cut it back to encourage new root growth.

I Did a bit of research and came back with conflicting methods.
Some people say its fine to just cut the leaves in half if they are getting to long and this will encourage new growth, While others say If you cut the leaf in half it will die and rot away and a better method is to up root the plant and remove the hole leaf from the crown?

It would take me an age to remove the tenellus one at a time and I dont really want to disturb the roots but if this is the best way to do it then it has to be done.

As for the acicularis I've read thats fine to just cut down lawnmower style, is this true?

cheers.

Out of interest Tim, how aggressively do you cut back your ele. acic.? I've got a feeling I'm too lenient, as I leave about an inch on mine.

Both el. acic. and ech. ten.(yep, I know it changed name ;)) benefits from being cut rather hard - presuming the plants are in good health before doing it - so don't hesitate to "do the lawn".

Back