• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Eden

Brilliant, the shop local to me has some amazing tanks and he stocks them heavily from the get go like fresh water system and had great success.

I have just started adding phytoplankton but says 2 times a week so I will do this for now, can't actually see any copepods like you can In the bags or containers but hopefully they are there somewhere.

Looking forward to pictures
Dean

Brilliant, the shop local to me has some amazing tanks and he stocks them heavily from the get go like fresh water system and had great success.

I have just started adding phytoplankton but says 2 times a week so I will do this for now, can't actually see any copepods like you can In the bags or containers but hopefully they are there somewhere.

Looking forward to pictures
Dean
They’ll be in there mate. You can always shine a red light into your tank at night and see what’s lurking after hours.

Catalaphyllia
I’ve spent the last two days being mesmerised by this thing, it’s growing larger and reaching further into the tank the more it settles in.
It’s providing some great movement as it’s tentacles sway gently in the flow.
I’ve never kept one before and will look forward to watching it develop over time.

IMG_6797.jpeg

Hopefully the below works, I’m not the most tech savvy person.
It’s a close up look at some of the corals in the tank.
Those with eagle eyes may spot a little nudibranch that I should remove but can’t bring myself to do. (This one eats Zoanthids)

Excuse the micro bubbles created by the Oase filter and excuse the dusty glass created by the sand.

Best to listen with the volume down so you’re not deafened by my phone being dragged across the glass.

Thank you for the video! Are there any critters in there? snails? shrimps etc? What else will you be adding to the tank . I understand you mentioned it is fully stocked? :D

I did dither about a salt tank for ages. With pressure from friends but the thing that put me off was the need for RODI/RO water for regular water changes and the like. Ive been low tech planted tank for over 25 years.However the thing that may sway me is if I was to buy a house where I had more space and wanted a new challenge and focal point for the living area :D

Keep up with the updates :)

Thank you for the video! Are there any critters in there? snails? shrimps etc? What else will you be adding to the tank . I understand you mentioned it is fully stocked? :D

I did dither about a salt tank for ages. With pressure from friends but the thing that put me off was the need for RODI/RO water for regular water changes and the like. Ive been low tech planted tank for over 25 years.However the thing that may sway me is if I was to buy a house where I had more space and wanted a new challenge and focal point for the living area :D

Keep up with the updates :)
Fish wise it’s definitely fully stocked, I will add a few snails and a small colony of “sexy” shrimp.
Once matured I plan to add a starfish too.
RODI doesn’t have to be an obstacle, I go to my nearest spotless water and fill up a 25L container, I then use ATI absolute ocean which is a concentrated liquid salt.
This allows me to make saltwater super easy without and further heating or powerheads for mixing.
I just give the container a good shake and store it away in my boiler cupboard where it’s warm.
I then change 6 cups of water a day. It takes 1 minute. Literally.

Thought I’d touch on the above encase anyone is interested in my daily routine.

After the light have ramped up and everything is awake I feed the fish.

I then change around 6 cups of water roughly 1L with fresh unheated saltwater (ATI Absolute Ocean)

I dose phytoplankton

Quick clean of the tank exterior.

Job done.

On the weekends I intend to clean the pre filter, internal glass, clean the light, siphon the sand and then clean around the tank lid and bracing.

Weekly maintenance on this shouldn’t take longer than 1hr all in. Including my daily routine.

Last edited:
The coral looks huge, love the swaying it makes, I think I need some good movement like xeina pr something, also add some good colour. Looking great nate and a good ready for us new to salt side.

I love sexy shrimp. I think my plan was to get a 60l tank with some frags and snails/sexy shrimp. One day.
Thank you again for updating and giving me insight of how "easy" it is to top up the water and upkeep :)

Tank is looking great @seedoubleyou - as an ignorant non-reefer, how on earth do you deal with handling and installing those massive anemone? I can only imagine them as a massive gelatinous blob in the LFS bag - do you secure them down somehow, or do they just slide off to wherever they want to?

Tank is looking great @seedoubleyou - as an ignorant non-reefer, how on earth do you deal with handling and installing those massive anemone? I can only imagine them as a massive gelatinous blob in the LFS bag - do you secure them down somehow, or do they just slide off to wherever they want to?
You wouldn’t be the only person to mistake that coral for an anemone I had made a similar mistake with @Geoffrey Rea and one of his coral.
It’s actually a catalaphyllia aka elegance coral which is an LPS.
Many corals can look very similar to the anemone, it makes me wonder have they evolved this way to deter hungry fish.

To answer your question though. Most corals are slimey messes to handle out of water but inside the water they acutally feel really sticky like they’re grabbing you.

Anemone are a different kettle of fish, I believe they’re technically inverts and not coral. They sting everything they touch and unlike most other corals (there are exceptions like mushrooms) they have a “foot” that is used for anchoring them. If they’re not happy they simply detach themselves and go for a walk across you tank.

I had considered this tank as an anemone only tank, but there’s nothing pleasurable about an anemone that soon becomes 20 anemone and they decide their favourite place to set up home is on your front glass.

I love sexy shrimp. I think my plan was to get a 60l tank with some frags and snails/sexy shrimp. One day.
Thank you again for updating and giving me insight of how "easy" it is to top up the water and upkeep :)
My pleasure.

They are great little shrimp with some fascinating behaviour.

Whilst I wouldn’t normally advocate a beginner to reefing using my style of reefing I am trying to show people that it is possible with the right tank maintenance and livestock.

Last edited:
You wouldn’t be the only person to mistake that coral for an anemone I had made a similar mistake with @Geoffrey Rea and one of his coral.
It’s actually a catalaphyllia aka elegance coral which is an LPS.
Many corals can look very similar to the anemone, it makes me wonder have they evolved this way to deter hungry fish.

To answer your question though. Most corals are slimey messes to handle out of water but inside the water they acutally feel really sticky like they’re grabbing you.

Anemone are a different kettle of fish, I believe they’re technically inverts and not coral. They sting everything they touch and unlike most other corals (there are exceptions like mushrooms) they have a “foot” that is used for anchoring them. If they’re not happy they simply detach themselves and go for a walk across you tank.

I had considered this tank as an anemone only tank, but there’s nothing pleasurable about an anemone that soon becomes 20 anemone and they decide their favourite place to set up home is on your front glass.

Oh wow, really, I never would have guessed that - especially the smaller tentacled yellow one on the front right.

So what do you do, just glue them to the rock somehow?

Also, how do you manage their growth, do you have to trim them like a plant somehow?

Oh wow, really, I never would have guessed that - especially the smaller tentacled yellow one on the front right.

So what do you do, just glue them to the rock somehow?

Also, how do you manage their growth, do you have to trim them like a plant somehow?
The corals that have a foot cannot be glued, we can place them in ideal spots and hope they take to it without wandering around.
Mushrooms for example will let go of the rock and get blown around the tank until they settle somewhere.
I have a Kenya tree that has its foot inside an old snail shell, I just wedged it into the rock.
All the other corals come attached to rock or frag plugs that they have been glued to and eventually encrusted over.
I never commit to glueing a coral in place until I’m certain it’s happy where I’ve placed it.

As for growth, yes, they get “fragged” (trimmed). Not all corals can be fragged some are easy to frag other not so easy. I don’t have any plans to frag anything in my tank for a long time. Certain corals like the green star polyp and Xenia can take over like weeds. So I’ll cut them back regularly and give away.

Back