• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim 2078 for 260l tank

murph

I intend to get an eheim 2078 with a stated output of 1850lph.

I will be running this on a 260l tank that will be planted iwagumi style, will this be enough flow rate to be starting with, I can't really affoard anything more expensive!

Would adding a powerhead to bring the tank above the 10x rule be of benefit?

What filter media would you recommend? £60 for eheims filter media for this model seems a bit steep!

From what I have researched of the eheims it will be pretty pointless getting the 2078 which is a 3e because you are paying for tech that you don't really need.
The 2078 Pro 3e is £239 and the 2080 Pro 3 is 249 both without media. Charterhouse Aquatics online do a deal with the media for the 2080 for £309. Expensive I know but it wont be much more than the 2078 when you add the media and the much improved flow rate and filtration capacity of the 2080 will be worth it.
I am going to be getting a 2080 to replace my Jewel Internal filter on my Rio 180L and that is just about satisfying the 10x rule I think.

Food for thought.

Hi

I just bought one 2078e for my 370l and together with ex1200 they works well if You want a good deal on zooplus You cen get one 2078e for 199£ if You never shop there before there is some discount for first time buyers and it will cost You something about 190£ so seems a good deal

Cheers

From the specs I've looked at the 2080 is 1700lph and the 2078 is 1850lph. Unless I'm reading things wrong? The larger media capacity of the 2080 would be a benefit but the higher flow rate is swaying me at the moment if I'm honest!

Hi

some people will say that electronics gadget like 2078e is not needed for a planted tank as filter is just a bucket with a pump but I like all new things which are introduced around me including a aquatic equipment

also You can change a water flow via a button nice idea but I do not use it to much as flow is always on maximum

so far few weeks and I do not have any problems and the most important You can not notice when is on as is very noiseless

True. It does have a faster pump output. However, the 2080 has two intake pipes so MIGHT allow it to get closer to the stated flow rate than the 2078 with just one. Also, having two intakes you will get better flow dynamics.

To be fair I'm not really to clued up in flow dynamics so its something I'll need to give a bit of thought.

Regardless of which I end up going for there will still be a shortfall in turnover? will a powerhead make up this difference or would a second filter be required? I'm not wanting to much plumbing in the tank!

I too am a sucker for anything new and gadgety but i'm trying not to let that sway me to much?

I take it I could just buy my filter material off flea'bay and not pay Ehiems massive prices?

I wouldn't say I'm an expert either but it stands to reason that the flow would distribute better with an intake at either end and a spray bar in the middle than one intake. I believe Ceg has doubled up the length of his spray bars to distribute flow better.
Just had a thought tho. You could use one of the eheim 'T' connectors and use two intakes going into the one entry pipe on the 2078.
http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/ ... p-998.html

I think any shortfall in flow could be best made up with one of those Hydor Koralia in tank pumps or similar but either the 2078 or 2080 would probably be a massive improvement.

As far as the media thing. Im not sure. I just bought my 2080 last night actually and got one that came with a media set so that I know it is going to be right. Im not a fan of bodged replacements for things like that. Thats why I am going for the best of everything for this re-scape that I'm planning!

I've bought the 2078 for £180 and will be getting a powerhead to make up the shortfall. I'll look into splitting the inlet into 2 at a later date.

Back