• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim compact for flow...?

Iain Sutherland

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Hey guys, hope your all enjoying the sun! I have been tossing ideas around for a while now as to how to solve my endless flow niggles and also want to future proof it if possible (next tank..?)
So i'm getting rid of the G6 as my tank is too wide for it to be effective and in its place im thinking of adding an eheim compact 5000 with adjustable flow from 2500-5000 lph. This will run a large diy reactor, inline heater and exit from 25mm acrylic spray bars. The current 2075 will stay on the tank dealing with the bio and mechanical filtration.

Id like to know if other people run this sort of set up and if there is anything i should consider before ripping it all apart and whether the eheim compact is quiet??
I'd also like to know if downsizing the outlet on the reactor to 16/22 would reduce flow or effectiveness of the reactor by a dramatic amount or just a little...?

Thanks for any tips you may have..
:thumbup: :thumbup:

The Eheim compacts are very popular amongst the reef community, so I'd try somewhere like ultimatereef.com for a view on those.

Always be careful about restricting flow on the outlet side of a pump, since you can end up putting additional strain on the impeller unit. If you're after restricting the flow, consider just heavily packing the media with filter wool instead.

cheers rick, i also posted on UR and seems they get great reviews, tireless workhorse and almost silent.
No media will be used as just the pump, i was under the impression it was more important the other way round?? that reducing the inlet will cause strain but the outlet is not such an issue??? i dont know though, just a few snippets from google search :lol:

If you think of most filter controls, they advise you to moderate the intake, not the output ;).

Back