• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim Vivaline 240 Journal - Medium Tech

MaterialCrab

Hi All,

Long time fish keeper, first time dabbling in the world of plants.

Tank: 240 Ltr.
Light: Hygger 42 W, 215 LEDS, 2160 Lumens, 6500k.
Filter: Fluval FX4 and an Internal UV filter.
CO2: Fzone DIY with regulator and solenoid.
Substrate: Tropica Aqua Soil Powder - 18 Ltrs

Water parameters and Photo Period.
PH 7.8
CO2 turns on at 12.30pm and off at 10.30pm
Lights on at 3.30pm and off at 11.30pm.
PH by lights on is 7.2 so a drop in .6.
Dropchecker is dark green so below 30ppm but ok.

Stocking.
16 x Cardinals
10 x Cory's
2 x Pearl Gourami
1 x Stripped Bulldog Pleco
5 x Amano Shrimp

Fertz.
Easy Life Profito & potassium

Tank set up 01/12/2024
PXL_20240126_160637130.jpg

I had some plants melt, the Ludwigia Super Red & Nymphoides.
I then decided to switch things up, remove some plants and add some plants as I felt the current setup wasnt progressing toward the vision I had for this tank.

Current plant stocking.

Back - Left to Right.
Limnophila Sessiliflora
Hygrophila Corymbosa Siamensis 53B
Rotalia Rotundifolia SP HRA
Hygrophila Polysperma
Ludwigia Super Red (Purchased more after melt)
Hygrophila Polysperma Sunset

Middle - Left to Right.
Cryptocoryne Wendtii
Cryptocoryne X Willisii

Front - Left to Right.
Alternanthera Reineckii Mini
Staurogyne Repens
Pogostemon Helferi
Cryptocoryne X Willisii

Photos from the 8th of February 2024.
PXL_20240208_190556708.jpg

PXL_20240208_190604642.jpg

PXL_20240208_190609009.MP.jpg
PXL_20240208_190614383.jpg
PXL_20240208_190618098.jpg
PXL_20240208_190645122.MP.jpg

This is the journey so far. Im very happy to hear feedback you may have. Thanks community :D

It looks good. I wondered about some floating plants and some leaves, to create a sense of containment or envelopedness, if that's a word.
I'm certainly open to more plants. I didn't go for them as my light is medium strength so I was afraid it would impact the plants in the tank.

Do you think floating plants would work?

Hi all,
Im very happy to hear feedback you may have.
Yes, that is looking good.
Do you think floating plants would work?
<"I do">, they have a multitude of advantages - <"What is the “Duckweed Index” all about?">. <"One advantage of a floating plant"> would be that they will tell you when your water column is deficient in nutrients, which will eventually happen as the substrate becomes exhausted.
Fertz.
These <"aren't really fertilisers">. Despite the blurb <"EasyLife Profito"> is just a <"very dilute micro-element mix"> and adding potassium (K) only helps if your tank <"was potassium deficient">.

Personally I also object to the <"lack of honesty"> of <"these vendors">, they know that every <"potassium ion (K+) is the same">, there aren't any special ADA, Seachem or EasyLife ones, their's are <"just a lot more expensive">. Have a look at <"Solufeed 2:1:4 and Solufeed Sodium Free TEC or Solufeed Coir TEC Combination">.
A floating plant <"takes CO2 out of the equation">, but your submerged plants can only make us of that extra CO2 if all of the other mineral nutrients are available and not limiting growth, if that makes sense?
Plant growth is nutrient dependent in the same way that cars are built on an assembly line, at the speed of the limiting nutrient (or the limiting operation in car assembly).

If one nutrient, or car component, is missing then the whole process grinds to a halt. For plant nutrients this was quantified as <"Liebig's law of the minimum">.

It doesn't matter how much you have of all the other <"essential nutrients for plant growth">, if you don't have any plant available iron (Fe++(+)), you don't get any growth.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,

Yes, that is looking good.

<"I do">, they have a multitude of advantages - <"What is the “Duckweed Index” all about?">. <"One advantage of a floating plant"> would be that they will tell you when your water column is deficient in nutrients, which will eventually happen as the substrate becomes exhausted.

These <"aren't really fertilisers">. Despite the blurb <"EasyLife Profito"> is just a <"very dilute micro-element mix"> and adding potassium (K) only helps if your tank <"was potassium deficient">.

Personally I also object to the <"lack of honesty"> of <"these vendors">, they know that every <"potassium ion (K+) is the same">, there aren't any special ADA, Seachem or EasyLife ones, their's are <"just a lot more expensive">. Have a look at <"Solufeed 2:1:4 and Solufeed Sodium Free TEC or Solufeed Coir TEC Combination">.

A floating plant <"takes CO2 out of the equation">, but your submerged plants can only make us of that extra CO2 if all of the other mineral nutrients are available and not limiting growth, if that makes sense?

cheers Darrel
Thank you so much for this informative response.

I have read that about the fertilizers that are sold in shops. I do plan on switching things up once I've used up what I've already purchased.

A quick question about the index. Does this apply to all floating plants? After research I really like the look of phyllanthus fluitans, red root floaters.

I'm not knowledgable in the way DW is, but one interesting thing about floating plants is how one tends to find some work and some don't depending on the tank. I think it;s true that one of the more difficult are red rooted, possibly because they are small and tend to be affected by water movement. The larger leaved floating plants tend to be good to begin with. Like Amazon frog bit or Pistia stratiotes. It can be interesting to choose two varieties and see which dominates, and it gives you double the chance. The thing they do badly with is being dripped on or strong current. With these larger plants they have longer roots which they fish enjoy. They are also slightly easier to manage in terms of removal. You also have bigger leaves to examine following DW's guide. By all means try red rooted floaters, but don't be discouraged if they fail.

I'm not knowledgable in the way DW is, but one interesting thing about floating plants is how one tends to find some work and some don't depending on the tank. I think it;s true that one of the more difficult are red rooted, possibly because they are small and tend to be affected by water movement. The larger leaved floating plants tend to be good to begin with. Like Amazon frog bit or Pistia stratiotes. It can be interesting to choose two varieties and see which dominates, and it gives you double the chance. The thing they do badly with is being dripped on or strong current. With these larger plants they have longer roots which they fish enjoy. They are also slightly easier to manage in terms of removal. You also have bigger leaves to examine following DW's guide. By all means try red rooted floaters, but don't be discouraged if they fail.
The flow might be an issue for them so. I have the FX 4 turned down but even still it's pretty powerful and I have the perfect positioning now for distribution so don't want to mess with that.

I'm thinking frog but is the way to go.

You can protect the frogbit with a plastic floating circle. This will also contain the area shaded. Then try some outside the protection and see how they do.

Hi All,

Long time fish keeper, first time dabbling in the world of plants.

Tank: 240 Ltr.
Light: Hygger 42 W, 215 LEDS, 2160 Lumens, 6500k.
Filter: Fluval FX4 and an Internal UV filter.
CO2: Fzone DIY with regulator and solenoid.
Substrate: Tropica Aqua Soil Powder - 18 Ltrs

Water parameters and Photo Period.
PH 7.8
Lights on at 3.30pm and off at 11.30pm.
PH by lights on is 7.2 so a drop in .6.
Dropchecker is dark green so below 30ppm but ok.

Stocking.
16 x Cardinals
10 x Cory's
2 x Pearl Gourami
1 x Stripped Bulldog Pleco
5 x Amano Shrimp

Fertz.

Tank set up 01/12/2024
View attachment 215701

I had some plants melt, the Ludwigia Super Red & Nymphoides.
I then decided to switch things up, remove some plants and add some plants as I felt the current setup wasnt progressing toward the vision I had for this tank.

Current plant stocking.

Back - Left to Right.
Limnophila Sessiliflora
Hygrophila Corymbosa Siamensis 53B
Rotalia Rotundifolia SP HRA
Hygrophila Polysperma
Ludwigia Super Red (Purchased more after melt)
Hygrophila Polysperma Sunset

Middle - Left to Right.
Cryptocoryne Wendtii
Cryptocoryne X Willisii

Front - Left to Right.
Alternanthera Reineckii Mini
Staurogyne Repens
Pogostemon Helferi
Cryptocoryne X Willisii

Photos from the 8th of February 2024.
View attachment 215703
View attachment 215705
View attachment 215706View attachment 215707View attachment 215708View attachment 215709

This is the journey so far. Im very happy to hear feedback you may have. Thanks community :D
It looks nice, but those crypts in middle, they will not get very high, they are not background plants.

Hi all,
The new leaves on my hygrophila sunset are white, is that an indication something is lacking?
It is, because it is effecting the new leaves it is one of the immobile nutrients and most likely to be iron (Fe), although another option is <"manganese (Mn)">. Because iron forms a lot of <"insoluble compounds"> iron deficiency is often an issue.

This is <"Friday's post">, and I'm still available for <"Tarot card readings">.

Have a look at <"What is the “Duckweed Index” all about?"> and <"subsequent posts">.

This is a Bacopa caroliniana showing iron deficiency (the white area) and subsequent recovery (the green tip) once the <"plant available iron supply"> resumed.

pxl_20230502_093417161-jpg-jpg-jpg-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,

It is, because it is effecting the new leaves it is one of the immobile nutrients and most likely to be iron (Fe), although another option is <"manganese (Mn)">. Because iron forms a lot of <"insoluble compounds"> iron deficiency is often an issue.

This is <"Friday's post">, and I'm still available for <"Tarot card readings">.

Have a look at <"What is the “Duckweed Index” all about?"> and <"subsequent posts">.

This is a Bacopa caroliniana showing iron deficiency (the white area) and subsequent recovery (the green tip) once the <"plant available iron supply"> resumed.

View attachment 215912

cheers Darrel
I've picked up Hybrid FE plant one which is an iron fertilizer and also got a bunch of Amazon Frogbit.

I'm going to move into the dry fertz once I've used up the easy life products I've purchased.

Any recommendations on where to pick them up? I'm based in Ireland so EU shipping or from the UK works.

Hi all,
Hybrid FE plant one which is an iron fertilizer
Whether it supplies plant available iron (Fe++(+)) will depend on which chelators it uses, and how alkaline your water is. Have a look at <"FE EDDHA">. If it does <"supply iron ions in a plant available form">, then it will take a little while for new growth to return to a normal green colour, <"because iron isn't mobile"> within the plant and can't be shunted around.

For "QUALDROP FE Hybrid - Fertilizer for planted Aquarium Iron", <"the blurb says">
Faith Hybrid It is a unique preparation that contains iron in two forms: Fe+2 and faith+3, which guarantees its maximum consumption by plants. The iron of the Fe form+2 is available immediately for plants, while in the Fe form+3 it is released more slowly on a continuous basis. Iron is a key element in the synthesis of chlorophyll and has many important functions in the metabolism of the plant.
Which is quite entertaining (and mostly true), but also <"sadly irrelevant">.
I'm going to move into the dry fertz once I've used up the easy life products I've purchased.

Any recommendations on where to pick them up? I'm based in Ireland so EU shipping or from the UK works.
I'm using <"Solufeed 2 : 1 : 4">, via the <"Duckweed Index questions"> & <"What is the “Duckweed Index” all about?">.

@Happi has written a very useful user guide to <"Solufeed fertilisers">: <"Solufeed 2:1:4 and Solufeed Sodium Free TEC or Solufeed Coir TEC Combination">.

Have a look at <"Tropica premium nutrition plant fertilizer shrimp safe"> as well.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

Whether it supplies plant available iron (Fe++(+)) will depend on which chelators it uses, and how alkaline your water is. Have a look at <"FE EDDHA">. If it does <"supply iron ions in a plant available form">, then it will take a little while for new growth to return to a normal green colour, <"because iron isn't mobile"> within the plant and can't be shunted around.

For "QUALDROP FE Hybrid - Fertilizer for planted Aquarium Iron", <"the blurb says">

Which is quite entertaining (and mostly true), but also <"sadly irrelevant">.

I'm using <"Solufeed 2 : 1 : 4">, via the <"Duckweed Index questions"> & <"What is the “Duckweed Index” all about?">.

@Happi has written a very useful user guide to <"Solufeed fertilisers">: <"Solufeed 2:1:4 and Solufeed Sodium Free TEC or Solufeed Coir TEC Combination">.

Have a look at <"Tropica premium nutrition plant fertilizer shrimp safe"> as well.

cheers Darrel
This is a description from the website in relation to the product I'm using.

"Fe Hybrid is a unique preparation containing iron in two forms: Fe + 2 Fe + 3, which ensures its maximum use by plants. Iron from Fe + 2 is immediately available to plants, while iron from Fe + 3 is released more slowly and continuously. Iron is a key element in the synthesis of chlorophyll and has many important functions in the plant’s metabolism."

All I wanted was pretty plants and slowly but surely I'm turning into a scientist.

Back