• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ehiem wet and dry filters

hixy

Hello folks i am using and Ehiem 2229 filter on my 150 litre tank.Firstly are wet and dry filters a no no even if i am not using co2 and does anybody no if i can mod my filter so it will operate as a normal filter.

cheers mick

Hi Mick,
Wet/Dry filters are fine, especially in non-CO2 tanks. There is absolutely no point in modifying an already excellent filter in order to make it less excellent. The issue of Wet/Dry has to do with the possible escape of CO2. However, this is the same issue faced by tanks with sumps, or by open top tanks. In those situations you'd have to add a higher CO2 injection rate or seal whatever vented openings there are to overcome the loss of gas. In a non-injected tank the Wet/Dry is a bonus because there is no worry about losing precious CO2 and the dry area helps the nitrifying bacteria by enhancing oxygen availability. I'd just get on with it and forget about modifying the filter, which would do more harm than good.

Cheers,

Back