• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

EI dry ferts but wanting to go leaner?

Franks

Hi all,

I've used Aquarium Plant Food Standard EI dosing for a number of years and I'm wanting to go leaner for a few reasons. Less water changing per week, less trimming of plants and also seeing if there is a positive effect with certain types of algae I sometimes have. BBA, greenspot and more recently, some filamentous type but I think I triggered this by having a huge trim down and cull of lots of plants in a single hit.

I'd like to keep Co2 running high, just dose fewer ferts. I don't have Excel so can't use the amazing-looking IFC calculator as it doesn't work in Google Sheets or OpenOffice. Tom Barr says we often overcomplicate things so given I've already got EI powders, should I just consider lowering the light intensity slightly and reducing the dosed amount of "EI mix" per day or create a new recipe based on something like PPS-Pro but with my current dry powders which are: Chelated Trace Elements/Magnesium Sulphate/Potassium Nitrate/Potassium Phosphate.

Thanks

Hi all,
I don't have Excel so can't use the amazing-looking IFC calculator as it doesn't work in Google Sheets or OpenOffice.
You can use the <"Rotala Butterfly"> or <"Zorfox"> nutrient calculators online.
I'd like to keep Co2 running high, just dose fewer ferts.
Try half of what you dose at the moment? You may need to reduce light intensity, if that is possible for you?

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,

I've used Aquarium Plant Food Standard EI dosing for a number of years and I'm wanting to go leaner for a few reasons. Less water changing per week, less trimming of plants and also seeing if there is a positive effect with certain types of algae I sometimes have. BBA, greenspot and more recently, some filamentous type but I think I triggered this by having a huge trim down and cull of lots of plants in a single hit.

I'd like to keep Co2 running high, just dose fewer ferts. I don't have Excel so can't use the amazing-looking IFC calculator as it doesn't work in Google Sheets or OpenOffice. Tom Barr says we often overcomplicate things so given I've already got EI powders, should I just consider lowering the light intensity slightly and reducing the dosed amount of "EI mix" per day or create a new recipe based on something like PPS-Pro but with my current dry powders which are: Chelated Trace Elements/Magnesium Sulphate/Potassium Nitrate/Potassium Phosphate.

Thanks

Light is the driver for the plants fert requirements and growth, so lowering the lighting levels as Darrel suggests, is a good starting point, and then lower the ferts to suit. You may need to adjust CO2 a little too if the plants don't uptake as much.

One point to note though - changing fert levels should not result in a different water change regime. The water change is there primarily to remove organic pollutants, not just fert build-up. If you lower fert dosing, and lower water changes, you could end up with the same longer run fert build up and equilibrium levels as you had originally, plus you may then have higher levels of dissolved organics in your water column which may contribute further to any algae issues.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, that's a fair point Wooki. I'm just trying to work on repeated issues and learn some more. I did once stop dosing EI for a few weeks and some of the plants turned the most amazing colours - AR in particular.
I'd like to find a balance of best colouration, least algae, and reduced Co2 injection if possible. I'll experiment!

changing fert levels should not result in a different water change regime. The water change is there primarily to remove organic pollutants, not just fert build-up.
A most important advice, @Franks . Algae can be a nuisance in lean conditions just as with huge ferts dosing. If algae is your main problem, you'd better focus on decreasing organic pollution. Unfortunately, there's admittedly no more effective way than regular and massive water changes.
Of course, you can try to decrease organic input - mostly fish feeding.

Back