• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

EI Mix with Tap Water

Hi all

I mix a 4 week supply in seperate bottles and have never had any mould/fungus issues in 2 years, and mine are kept in the cupboard under the tank :D

Bobtastic said:
I believe that the acid is to prevent mold/fugus growth and and the P-Sorbate is to prevent unwanted reactions with the trace.
Other way round Bob ;) . Keeping the solution acidic prevents the reaction between PO4 and Fe in the Trace, P-Sorbate prevents the mould ;)

Liquid carbon is also a pretty good item to use in the mix if you're experiencing mold. This is not really a big deal if it degrades because it kills everything in the bottle. Just add a few more drops a few weeks later. Acids will definitely corrode metallic parts of the pump if contact is made, but most of the pumps are made of plastic parts. Unfortunately, just about all of the convenient substances that kill mold/mildew/fungus also corrode metal.

Cheers,

Back