• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Embarking on an Aquascaping Adventure:

Luis M

Greetings fellow aquascaping enthusiasts!

My name is Luis, and like many others, I've had my fair share of experiences in the aquarium hobby, sometimes stepping in and out of it.
My journey began with receiving my first tank as a gift from my parents when I was around 12 years old.
Reflecting back, I shiver at the lack of knowledge and care I had for my first fish, back in the 80s when information on proper care was scarce, and practices like partial water changes were not commonplace. Despite this, I did manage to successfully breed Guppies, Mollies, and others, perhaps owing to my fondness for keeping plants in my tanks even then.

Over the years, I've had a multitude of tanks, too many to recall accurately, ranging from nano freshwater setups to a few ventures into large reef tanks, although the latter never quite captured my interest as much as freshwater.

Recently, I've had the privilege of moving to a new house, where I've been able to design a dedicated fish room in the basement, allowing me to fully immerse myself back into the hobby. It's an exciting prospect, and one I'm eagerly looking forward to.

The purpose of this thread is twofold:
1-to introduce myself to my fellow aquascapers and to begin documenting my journey through the creation of individual tank journals once I have the necessary privileges. The inaugural tank in this new fish room, measuring 100cm x 100cm x 50cm, is a collaborative effort between my father and me.
2-Moreover, I'm also hopeful that this project will afford me more quality time with my father, who, now retired, remains my closest friend.

I commit to sharing a high-quality post, featuring good photos, every week

So, without further ado, let's dive in! Here's a glimpse of the empty fish room (it's 6m x 3m) , after the installation of a sink:

You can see tape markings on the floor (for scale) , where the 100cm x 100cm tank will be... and the metal structures for some smaller tanks to be added later. Each stand is 120cm long by 50cm front to back:
20240302_165118.jpg

And here is the tank after arrival (stand needs a new coat of pain):
20240313_151336.jpg

Regards
Luis

Thanks Imran.
I've started a journal for the 100x100 build.

Substrate will be the easy part I think... Lighting will indeed be a challenge, not sure yet which route I will choose, if three RGB Led strips or Pendants.
As for Plants I am going for a mixture of nature aquarium (Anubias, ferns etc) and in the backgfound some colorful stems and some Cryptos.

Welcome and nice room and tank. Please tell us more about your tank and its sump. What will go in the sump?
Many thanks Mike.
I will add all the info in the build thread (link on my signature)

In the sunp I will have the return pump, a CO2 reactor as I don't really appreciate microbubbles in the tank and with this tank size reactors are more efficient. Also lots of media.
I will add all the details as the build progresses.

Thabks!

Back