• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

empty plants from tank, keep ada substrate kill thread algae

FishBeast

At some time in the future I would like to take the plants out of my tank and start it fresh again. It has been over run with thread algae and I want to make sure that it is dead before replanting.... The reason why I want to do it this was because I have alot of ADA Amazon II that is still good.

I am considering a massive dose of liquid carb via spray or directly into the tank with no water in the tank.

I am also considering removing the plants and animals and dosing a massive dose of liquid carbon into water colum until thread algae is dead.

Also considering emptying the water from the tank and heating the inside of the tank to a high enough level to kill any algae...

I have previously tried a 2 week black out which did not suceed so I am reluctant to try this again.

The tank is glosso grown under sticks with moss and riccia attached to them. The riccia grows too fast for the thread algae but the heavy growth above the glosso is starving the light needed for it and it has been over run with thread algae.

Re: empty plants from tank, keep ada substrate kill thread a

None of these ideas make any sense because you cannot bully thread algae into submission. Thread algae does not care what you do. It will return immediately if you continue to do the wrong things to your plants. Algae is not an infectious disease to be elliminated by sanitizing the tank. It is a predator that stalks the weak and unfit. Therefore, if continue to follow unsuccessful habits that weaken your plants, thread algae will ALWAYS return.

Fix the root cause of hair algae. Any other course is folly.

Cheers,

Back