• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Erm...What's el? And what is the water column?

toby843

Seedling
Just tryig to start out my first planted tank and I just want to clear up these questions.
I'm in a substrate confused state right now and noticed these phrases coming up quite often.
Help!
Oh and I have some nice ADA orinoko gravel for the centre of my tank, just one 9L bag. I want to plant at the two ends. Would 2 more 9L bags of aquasoil be enough, its a 48x12x18

Hi toby843

It's all a bit daunting when you're starting out with phrases and the like, but if no one tells you, you'll never know. Once you know, you know forever :D
So here we go, el as you describe it is E I (pronounced Eee Eye :D ). It stands for Estimative Index and it is a method we use for dosing our plants and the other one, the water column, in a nutshell, is the water in your tank :D

Here's a link to a formula you can use for working out your substrate required. Substrate formula

Hi Toby,... :) Welcome to UKAPS!!! :thumbup:

Wishing you all the very best in your learning. This is an amazing place to learn about planted tanks.

Back