• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Established Java fern melting

Conort2

Hi,

Hope everyone is good?

I appear to be having a major issue with my Java fern. Has been growing fine however recently all of my ferns appear to be melting. I’ve tried pulling off the melting growth but it doesn’t seem to stop the spread. All other plants are fine.

I haven’t changed anything and dosing has remained consistent (about a third E.I levels). There’s no CO2 in this tank but the fern has been growing fine up until this point. I’m leaning more towards it being some kind of disease due to all other plants appearing fine.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers
968751FF-FAE9-4268-9440-912635A92416.jpeg

Java Ferns are prone to viruses. First l thought it might be too high light but nothing changed and it grew ok ,so l would do what's suggested trim every damaged leaf exposing the rhyzone you should get new growth and ensure flow is ok

How long has the fern been in that tank for
Probably about four to five months.

I thought maybe it had chocked itself at first but even the plantlets on the end of leaves which are no crowded at all are melting.
Java Ferns are prone to viruses. First l thought it might be too high light but nothing changed and it grew ok ,so l would do what's suggested trim every damaged leaf exposing the rhyzone you should get new growth and ensure flow is ok
I’ll give this a go. I’ve been pulling off the unhealthy growth but every time I look at it more seems to have appeared. The rhizomes still seem nice and firm luckily.

Cheers

I've had this happen many times... Most recently, after a particularly nasty wave of whatever this is, I added to my maintenance routine a careful cleaning of the rizome area. So far, no more incidents.

I too suspect it's an infection, likely a virus.
Has anyone tried in such a situation:
1) removing the "sick" parts, and
2) using a UV-C lamp? (I mean, not within the tank, of course, but running the water through a chamber with UV lamp.)
I believe UV irradiation kills viruses just as other microbes.

Back