• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Estimative Index

Jamsim

Hey everyone :),

I'm new to the EI dosing method and I recently bought a kit off of www.planted-box.com.

It came with the following:

• 500gr KNO3 (potassium nitrate)
• 100gr KH2PO4 (potassium phosphate)
• 100gr trace elements
• 50gr Fe DTPA (long-term iron fertilization)
• 500gr MgSO4 (magnesium sulphate)
• A bag of E202 to store the products for a long time

When I plugged in the different compounds into the IFC Fert calculator I initially noticed that my potassium would only reach 67% of its weekly target. Thankfully, I also have some K2S04 (purchased separately from the kit) at home so by plugging that compound in as well I have now been able to attain 100% across the board.

My major concern is whether or not to drop MgSO4 as it jacks up my DGH°. Bear in mind, I will be using 100% RO water and I am planning on remineralizing with Seachem Equilibrium and some baking soda.

I will attach the excel spreadsheet but any advice or guidance would be super appreciated. For those that are interested, I will also attach Planted-box's EI recipe in a PDF document.

Please be kind, I am by no means a chemist 😅

Regards,
James

Attachments

• EI Recipe - Planted Box .pdf
    43.8 KB · Views: 49
  • James Fert.xlsx
    642.3 KB · Views: 48
Hi all,
Please be kind, I am by no means a chemist
I'll try James, but you've <"mentioned Seachem"> and the toys are <"already out of the pram">.
I think they have form here <"What filter media is best?"> , <"5.5.3.2. Seachem Prime and Safe">& <"Hobby laterite balls? Any reviews?">. The genius of Seachem is to find a product and then <"write some advertising"> to sell it.
and I am planning on remineralizing with Seachem Equilibrium........
Just don't, we have a "Seachem Equilibrium" thread: <"Seachem method of potassium dosing">. We actually have a lot of these threads and you are remineralising your RO water with the nutrients you are adding.

<"Unscrupulous vendors"> will try and imply that "Remineralisers" and "Fertilisers" are different products, but they aren't. There is absolutely no difference between a magnesium (Mg++) ion from a fertiliser or a remineraliser, ions don't know <"where they came from">.
My major concern is whether or not to drop MgSO4 as it jacks up my DGH°. Bear in mind, I will be using 100% RO water and I am planning on remineralizing with Seachem Equilibrium and some baking soda.
Add the Epsom Salts (MgSO4.7H2O & ~10% Mg) and don't add the baking soda, you are basically <"losing all the advantages of your RO">. The baking soda (NaHCO3) is totally useless in a planted tank, you <"don't need the dKH"> and the sodium (Na) is actively damaging to plant growth. Unfortunately it is back to <"unscrupulous vendors">.

I'm going to assume you have hard, alkaline tap water? Assuming you do, you can <"use a dash of tap"> as a remineraliser, it adds 1 : 1 dGH : dKH, all the dGH as calcium (Ca).

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

I'll try James, but you've <"mentioned Seachem"> and the toys are <"already out of the pram">.

Just don't, we have a "Seachem Equilibrium" thread: <"Seachem method of potassium dosing">. We actually have a lot of these threads and you are remineralising your RO water with the nutrients you are adding.

<"Unscrupulous vendors"> will try and imply that "Remineralisers" and "Fertilisers" are different products, but they aren't. There is absolutely no difference between a magnesium (Mg++) ion from a fertiliser or a remineraliser, ions don't know <"where they came from">.

Add the Epsom Salts (MgSO4.7H2O & ~10% Mg) and don't add the baking soda, you are basically <"losing all the advantages of your RO">. The baking soda (NaHCO3) is totally useless in a planted tank, you <"don't need the dKH"> and the sodium (Na) is actively damaging to plant growth. Unfortunately it is back to <"unscrupulous vendors">.

I'm going to assume you have hard, alkaline tap water? Assuming you do, you can <"use a dash of tap"> as a remineraliser, it adds 1 : 1 dGH : dKH, all the dGH as calcium (Ca).

cheers Darrel
Thanks for giving me a hand Darrel. I'm in the learning stage, especially when it comes to RO water and the EI so I really am trying my best to understand and get it right.

Did you have a look at my James fert (1) Excel spreadsheet where I did the EI calculations?

I want to understand... Would you recommend keeping the KNO3, KH2PO4 and the K2SO4 as I have done on the calculator however you would use the MGS04 for to increase the GH of the water (and withdraw from using seachem equilibrium as well as baking soda)?

And yes my water is hard (15 dH) and alkaline. According to the water report the pH is 7.3, Calcium is 95 mg/l and Magnesium is 8.8 mg/l

Last edited:
Hi all,
And yes my water is hard (15 dH) and alkaline. According to the water report the pH is 7.3, Calcium is 95 mg/l and Magnesium is 8.8 mg/l
Perfect, just add a small amount of tap (~10% by volume) and that supplies calcium (Ca) and dGH : <"Solufeed 2:1:4 - IFC - low on P,K,Ca - user error?">

"Mg / L" and "ppm" are equivalent, so 10% tap addition to 90% RO gives you 10 ppm Ca and 1 ppm Mg. If you want to work out the dGH and dKH you've added? The workings are here <"CO2 gaseous equilibrium with atmosphere">, but it is approx. 1 dGH and 1dKH.
and the EI so I really am trying my best to understand and get it right. Did you have a look at my James fert (1) Excel spreadsheet where I did the EI calculations?
I'm not an <"Estimative Index"> user myself (I'm low tech and don't want <"optimal plant growth"> - <"What is the “Duckweed Index” all about?">), but the calculations look right.

You can check on the <"Rotala Nutrient Dosing Calculator">. I've just checked with potassium nitrate (KNO3) and that gives NO3 =10ppm and K = 6.3 ppm per 10 mL added, so everything else will be right.
however you would use the MGS04 for to increase the GH of the water
I'd aim for 5 ppm Mg. Dry dosing would be easiest, <"so about 3g per week"> added to the tank.
and withdraw from using seachem equilibrium as well as baking soda)?
Yes, you've ended with a better result and <"saved yourself some money">.

cheers Darrel

Back