• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

excessive water changes?

Hi all,
since the end of March and I'm still using most of the milk cartons that pre-date this.
Just to say that I'm down to my last <"Pre-Covid" milk carton">, so it has lasted at least nine months.

I was going to say "not bad" for something intended as a single use product, but probably "bad for a single use product" might be more appropriate.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
This the "last milk" carton. It is still not leaking. I had a look at the sell by date and it was June 7th, so only six months of "extra life". I've been using it to water the house plants with "Miracle Gro" (which is why it has the algae), and one or two stray snails have also found their way in and you can see their grazing trails.

IMG_20201226_122810456.jpg

Cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I water change based on bioload, also worth considering the difference in any water chemistry before undertaking larger changes, depending on your circumstances

Hi all,
One thing to remember with large water changes is that you use out the soil buffering capasity much faster.
That is a good point, if you have hard water and an "active" substrate continual large volume water changes <"will deplete the water softening capacity of the substrate"> much more quickly.
Because the soil also supports water purification and houses beneficial bacteria you loose these faster as well.
I'm not convinced about that one. I'm really keen on an <"undisturbed substrate"> and I don't personally <"do anything like gravel vacuuming">, but I'm not convinced that water changes really have any effect what is going on in the substrate.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
This the "last milk" carton. It is still not leaking. I had a look at the sell by date and it was June 7th, so only six months of "extra life". I've been using it to water the house plants with "Miracle Gro" (which is why it has the algae), and one or two stray snails have also found their way in and you can see their grazing trails.

View attachment 159423
Cheers Darrel
That picture is just hilarious!

Hi all,
This is why I need to get the lid on my tank. Cats are currently banned from the room unless I’m in it.
Probably a good idea. Unfortunately my home tanks are in the kitchen, which has a cat flap etc. <"She is a bit of a terror">, although she mainly ignores the fish now. We've had a mouse problem this autumn because she continually brings mice in, starts meowing, drops them and they escape under the kitchen units. Out of sight is out of mind so at that point she goes to try and find another one etc..

I noticed, on the uncropped photo, that my water containers are looking a lot less green, presumably because of a combination of lower light levels and not the feeding the tomatoes etc.

Minnie_Dec2021a.jpg

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,
We've had mice in the utility room too, they're a PITA
I'm lucky in that I can borrow a <"Longworth trap from work">, but I'm pretty sure that I've now caught the same <"wood mouse multiple times">. Usually when you tip them, and the hay from the trap, into the large plastic bag they burrow into the hay and hop like little Jerboas in a frantic attempt to escape, but this one just sits in the bag eating the peanut butter bait.

cheers Darrel

That Krib site is going to be worth some reading.
Hi @Big G

I have been a fan of The Krib for at least ten years. And I keep going back to it time and time again. I greatly admire the in-depth investigations that they have carried out. And, pertinent to the recent thread here on UKAPS, there is a useful section on Alkalinity vs. KH here:

JPC

On a side note, the only fish I have encountered that actually for whatever reason died with water changes (no matter how big, small, or matched in water values), was a rarer species of diapteron; the Latin name eludes me. Will need to dig up some info and see if I can revert back here.

Back