• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Experiences with arrowhead?

Nont

Hello,

I bought Pond arrowhead (Sagittaria sagittifolia) 2 weeks ago as I wanted to see what its looks like submersed. (According to the wiki, submersed form have grassy leaves like the dwalf sag)

In the first week they did really well, grew about 4 cm a day and sent out arrow shaped emersed leaves above the tank. However, in the second weeks, the whole plants melted including the roots and I don’t know what happened.

Now, I was wondering if the anyone have an experiences with this species, is it possible to keep them submersed or is the article wrong?

I bought Pond arrowhead (Sagittaria sagittifolia)
Grows best as an emergent, but will grow OK in deep water with strap like leaves & floating arrowhead leaves. It may prefer cooler water. If I was trying to grow it submerged I would try cool water with CO2 and plain gravel substrate to keep growth in check. Plants that show strong emergent growth typically require rich CO2 ( from the atmosphere and a nutritious substrate.) It also has poor vascular structure and the leaves will go brown and crispy in strong sunlight. Not usually a problem in the UK.
Never got the plant to transplant from the wild unlike great water plantain, Alisma plantago aquaticum, with was a stable in the cold water tanks of my childhood.

Hope this is of some help.

Back