• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

External Filter Choices!!!!

Ali-Jack

I have a 90L Fluval Roma and want to upgarade the U2 filter it's provided with. Want to go for an external filter, but getting very confused by the choices!!!! I'm working on the 10x turnover rule, so looking around 900lph. At the moment i've got my heart set on an Eheim filter as they seem to be the most respected brand. The two i've narrowed it down to are the Pro 3 2073/350 or the Classic 2217. Which would any of you recommend? Any other filters i should consider?

Eheim are always the best choice if money is no object, alternatively you could look at the JBL series, they are pretty robust also. I have not used any other brands than the two referred so that's as far I can go! The JBL 900 would do also, the new models are more energy efficient the 901!

Tetra Tec EX1200
Solid, reliable & loads of media as standard

edit:might not fit in your cabinet though

Thanks for the replies. Have seen lots of recommendations for the TT EX1200. Any idea what the benefit is over the Eheim filters?

Either the 2217 or Rena xp2, I have used both and think it is fair to say both are as good as each other but I think the Eheim with internal basket removed holds quite a lot more bio media than the trays in the Rena.

I used standard gravel in an old Eheim with internal basket removed and had fantastic results with Malawi's.

Too much choice!!! :) Ive read that the Eheim 2073/350 has suffered from leaks. Anyone know if this was early models only and if it's resolved now? Is the 2217 any better than the 2073? If so, why?

Ali-Jack - I use an Eheim 2126 thermo filter which means the heater is also in there (and out of the tank!)
I absolutely LOVE it. Its been running for years without any problems or leaks etc, and I also got it much cheaper than new by buying from eBay.

There are bargains out there to be had if you look hard enough I think, and I would definitely not only recommend Eheim, but also trying to get your heater as part of the filter too.

Thanks Andrew. Yeah, most places ive checked and people ive spoken to recommend eheim as the best. It's just a case of deciding which one!!! Had my mind made up on the 2073/350 untill i read reports of them leaking so now i'm just a bit confused if im honest. If anyone else has anything to add all advice is greatly appreciated....even if it twists my melon further :)

Eheim are always the best choice if money is no object, alternatively you could look at the JBL series, they are pretty robust also. I have not used any other brands than the two referred so that's as far I can go! The JBL 900 would do also, the new models are more energy efficient the 901!

The day was bound to come when I didn't agree with you Paulo!

I've got both Eheim 2217s and JBLs on my tank (actually, I've got the e901 and also e700), and I've got to say that I really do rate the JBL's above the Eheim. "But why?!" I hear you ask (dramatically). Well let me tell you...

- Noise - The JBL is a smidge quieter. I do mean a smidge, I suspect to some people's ears there will be nothing in it since it's so close that even the "type" of noise would probably swing opinion.
- Build - The locking clips on the Eheim are really flimsy in comparison to the JBL, and I've already bent one of my Eheim ones. That said, since they're so flimsy, they're easy to bend back into shape!
- Accessories - Unless you buy the Plus version, you won't get the extra double taps on the Eheim, which is a real pain in the backside when it comes to filter maintenance. Also, the JBL comes with a rigid spraybar assembly, compared to the Eheim just having a straight spraybar, so you have to allow space to bend the hose out of the way.
- Media - The JBL comes with it, the Eheim doesn't unless you buy the Plus.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not for one moment saying that the Eheim isn't a good bit of kit, it really is, but I'd definitely pick the JBL over them.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not for one moment saying that the Eheim isn't a good bit of kit, it really is, but I'd definitely pick the JBL over them.
I do prefer the JBL but would be bashed against a wall if I said otherwise :lol: :crazy:
BTW I only ever used one external Eheim or JBL! ;)

Thanks for the replies. Have seen lots of recommendations for the TT EX1200. Any idea what the benefit is over the Eheim filters?
If anyone else has anything to add all advice is greatly appreciated....even if it twists my melon further :)

Sorry i've never had an Eheim, so can't do a straight comparison.
Any further insights into which brand mightn't make this a 'Happy Monday' ;)

Thanks Andrew. Yeah, most places ive checked and people ive spoken to recommend eheim as the best. It's just a case of deciding which one!!! Had my mind made up on the 2073/350 untill i read reports of them leaking so now i'm just a bit confused if im honest. If anyone else has anything to add all advice is greatly appreciated....even if it twists my melon further :)

The leaking on the 2073 models and 2075's etc were mainly pre October 2010 manufactured models. Apparently modifications were made since.

If your opting for a jbl there's an e900 in eBay at 39.99 second hand and an e1500 for 50 I think..
The jbl filters personally I think are great filters for the money.
Might be worth noting that there actual flow output is around half of what the rated flow is for each model.

Either way if you went with the Eheim 2217, JBL 900 or a newer Eheim you won't be disapointed. They're all great filters, it may be worth going with a bigger filter than you need for if you choose to upgrade in the future though.

Thanks for the replies everyone. The LFS nearest my work has an Eheim 2071/250 set up in a display tank and i was amazed at how quiet it was and it looks solid too. I've seen some good reviews on here for that series and Eheim seem to be well respected. Thanks for the imput LancsRick, JBL seem highly rated as well. Think i'm set on Eheim though. I was worried when I'd read the Pro 3 Eheim's leak, so appreciate your comment Alastair. Thank you everyone for your advice. And thanks Stu for the Happy Mondays reference ;)

Hi all,
Its been running for years without any problems or leaks etc, and I also got it much cheaper than new by buying from eBay.
I got all my Eheims "pre-owned" as well. I think the real advantage of Eheim's is that you can get the parts for the older models, which means that I've got Classics that are at least 20 years old, but I can still run them.

cheers Darrel

I run a 2073, and it's a brill filter, just to echo what Alastair has said, the leaking issue was a couple of years ago. Apparently this has been corrected now. Not a great deal of drop in flow either. It will be perfect for a tank that size as well.

I wouldn't have anything other than an Eheim now, they just feel nice, reliable and as Darrel states, spares readily available.

The only thing that Im not happy with, is I always seem to worry myself when I go to release the taps, turning them off with the leaver, and pressing release sometimes feels odd.

Funnily enough, it was the 2073 that i actually knackered by doing this and the taps getting jammed in.

Cheers,

I wouldn't have anything other than an Eheim now, they just feel nice, reliable and as Darrel states, spares readily available.

The only thing that Im not happy with, is I always seem to worry myself when I go to release the taps, turning them off with the leaver, and pressing release sometimes feels odd.

Funnily enough, it was the 2073 that i actually knackered by doing this and the taps getting jammed in.

Cheers,

Feels nice??? Take it to bed with you??

........ Something your not telling us mate ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back