• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

External Filter Choices!!!!

Thanks Ian. I'm sold on the 2073 and gonna get one this weekend. Just have to persuade the wife it won't flood the lounge first!!!!

Morning all, Right, after some hassle with my LFS, I finally received my Eheim 2073! Had to take a junior hacksaw to the provided inlet and outlet setup so it sat properly in the Roma 90, but once it was set up i'm really pleased with my choice. Water is loads clearer and the flow is amazing! A little too fast if anything. Quick question though. I wouldn't really call the filter silent though! You can hear it slightly over the sound of the tv. I've gently shaked it a couple of times and when i have air bubbles have come out of the outlet pipe. Should i shake it until no further bubbles come out of the outlet? Or, should i just leave it well alone and after a few days it'll quieten up? I set it up on Sunday, so only been going 2 days. Cheers all

Give it a gentle shake until you have no air in it. Just check the pipes arnt resting on the cabinet, this can produce an audible hum also.
Sometimes they need a few days to settle before they become almost silent.

Cheers Ian. Should i literally gently shake it until no bubbles are coming out of the outlet?

Just tip it from side to side, I wouldn't shake it. Often, just moving the flow adjuster from off to on will also solve this problem.

Cheers Ian. Will take another look tonight. Yesterday I did rock it from side to side and did get loads of bubbles out of the outlet. I was concerned rocking it too much might damage the impellor. Was also wondering if it was causing air pockets as the water level inside the canister adjusted. I'll just try rocking it tonight until no bubbles are present. I'm guessing then that once all air has been purged from the unit that there won't be any bubbles escaping from the outlet when rocking it?

Thanks for the replies. I messed about with it last night and did expel a bit more air. I can't see where it could be taking in air, so I guess it just takes a while to work all the traped air out! Was worried that all that rocking would damage the filter! Anyway, i'll take your advice science and switch it off and re-prime it tonight. It's not really loud, just not as quiet as I hoped! My LFS has one on display which is silent, so i'm sure mine can get quieter. Cheers for the advice.

Hmmm weird. One question? The filter is below the tank or next to it? I had yhr problem with one sitting next to the tank. Moved it below the tank and it was gone.

Yeah, it's below the tank. The pipes aren't touching the cabinet or tank either!

Back