• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

External filter in a low tech tank?

DanMac

Hi everyone I have a 24x12x12 tank (roughly 54 litres), I have an internal fluval u2, I bought it because I needed a filter that was silent as my tank is in my bedroom.

The filter works great but it's BIG, I have nearly finished my whole setup which is what I like to call a "half way iwagumi" since I love the iwagumi style, I am a beginner and have only kept fish for 4 months , my tank is coldwater with one T5 light and fine black gravel, no co2/ferts, the only plants I have are a few grids of moss from ebay which are placed between some yamaya stone.

I have done everything to give my tank a clean and simplistic look, and at a low budget.

My questions is, is it worth buying a cheap external filter?, by cheap i mean £30-70. (as cheap as possible is what i need right now)

Would such a filter be silent and cheap to run?
Really appreciate it cheers!

all pond solutions have a sale on at the moment on external filters i think most new filters are pretty quite

Jbl cristalprofi 700 would get my vote
Either this ^^ or Tetratec ex700 which are cheaper than the JBL ATM.
I've used both on the same size tank,at one time or another, and would be happy with either.
The German site of the above link, can be cheaper, but never seems to have stock in.

Cheers for the replys, the eheim liberty seems ok but I could only fit the smallest version on the side of my tank as i have a light clipped over the top, also the filter media seems pretty basic?, I watched a video of it on youtube and it seems like the flow is not strong enough, can anyone give more information on this?

I also checked all pond solutions and there is an external filter which I could buy in the near future, however it is 1000 l/h, would that be too strong?, my current filter is only 400 l/h

here is the link: All Pond Solutions - 1000EF Aquarium External Filter - All Pond Solutions

I take it you dont actually mean for FREE? If not how much are you looking for? cheers mate

I'll take one!, Would you be up for posting it and letting me know how much it costs and ill pay that amount via paypal? i'll put a little extra on top for the favour :)

Most larger filters have a flow adjuster so you can still use them on smaller tanks without blasting the tank apart!

Alastair thanks once again for sending me the filter!, really appreciate it mate:D

Back