• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

External filter & spraybar

It seems to me that you might as well sell your filter & buy one with smaller hose because if you reduce the diameter like you have you are just waisting your present filters power & flow!
If you are really stuck cant you just ask you locale fish shop to help?

cheers, we have done the maths now and it appears that the original spraybar that came with the filter is serverly restricted anyway. the standard spraybar and 22mm hose fills up a ten liter bucket 10 seconds slower than the 16mm hose and spraybar. i have sent a email to APS so hopefully ill hear back from them on monday. ive been doing my research into it and apparently a member of another forum has recently criticized APS and has been told that they are reviewing the spraybars on all of their external filters. i will be making a custom spraybar in the future, but seeing as my tank is well overfiltered and lightly stocked i will be able to get away with this for the time being.

i agree its simple, and i have the equipment to do it. the problem is that the spraybar provided with the 22mm hose is restricted anyway

e.g 22mm hose and original spraybar takes ten seconds longer to fill a ten liter bucket whereas,

the 16mm reducer with a 16mm hose straight through to a 16mmm tetratec spraybar fills up the bucket 10 seconds faster

Now unless im missing something sticking with the original hose and spraybar REDUCES the flow...

therefore the only alternative seems to be to do what everyone has described, but only when ive found a 22mm spraybar or build one (which is what im looking into now as they seem to be near impossible to find!)

B&Q will sell you two options - 21.5 overflow pipe but it is white or 25mm electrical conduit, that is black. Both are very cheap & very useful to experiment with. Once you get the pipe home you need to drill holes & experiment with spacings & hole size.
Use the B&Q cheap pipe to to this with, then buy clear acrylic tube from EBay & copy the spacing for the finished article...

Back