External Filter

Discussion in 'Filters, Filtration and Pumps' started by johnny70, 7 Apr 2008.

1. johnny70

johnny70 Member

I want to put an external filter on my new 54ltr tank, now its in the kitchen and I dont have it on a stand just on a work surface:eek: There is nowhere for a filter to go underneath and I'm not sure our landlord would like me drilling out the worktop:D so IS it possible to have a cannister filter at the same level as the tank, I'm thinking not? opinions/options please

Cheers,
    JOHNNY

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

I'm currently using an Eden 501 clone (from hong kong) on my 54litre which is a tiny external. It sits on the same level as the tank. Its not brilliant and I want to replace it, but its not awful :) Not usre if a true Eden would be better quality. It does the job and even comes with a mini spray bar :)

3. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Ive just added a tetratec ex600 to my 24lt and its about right flow wise, for your 56 I'd want the ex700. The filter should be rated 10x the volume of the tank. i.e. you want a filter rated at 540lph or better. Always get the next model up, you cant really over filter a tank.

Sam

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Have to admit, I will probably be replacing the mini filter soon.

The problem with larger externals is that ideally need to be below the water line of the tank else you end up with problems priming them etc. You could prime it, get it running and then moving it up onto the counter next to the tank. It will probably continue to work OK, with maybe the odd burp of air from time to time.

5. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

Dev's dead right on the need for the pump to be below the tank height. I wouldn't want to run an external filter, even once primed, above the water line as the head would work in the opposite direction on the pump and I'm not sure how it would cope with that.

I'm not sure what else to suggest other than having a sump behind or to the side of the tank for the filter media. You could have an inlet into the sump from the tank and then the water's pumped out back into the tank.

6. johnny70

johnny70 Member

Still haven't got a solution for this, I'm currently running it with a pair of Heuy hungs and a Ehiem Aquaball, as good as they are they aren't cutting the mustard for keeping the flow up :( water tests are of course fine but I really need a decent external. anyone else have thoughts?

JOHNNY

7. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

I think most externals need to be a few cm below the level of the water in the tank, unfortuantely.

You could try DIYing an external using a small powerhead, 'Lock&Lock' sandwich box and a shed load of silicone?

Sam

8. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

I think a glass box behind that tank will work well. You could have the guys at Wharf make you a tank the same length and height as the tank but only say 10cm wide. Then have a rigid inlet pipe (like the one's with Ehiem filters, but maybe made from a larger diameter pipe) leading from the tank to the filter box behind. I'd then have glass sections to form chambers like a mini gravity flow koi filter which is basically what you would have! After foam at first and then lots of biological media your last chamber would contain a pump to return the water to the tank! A bit of work but you'd have tonnes of filtration capacity and all at the same height as the tank.

9. chris1004

chris1004 Member

Alternativly you could use your external filter next to the tank but raise the tank slightly with a diy stand so the top of the filter head is below the waterline of the tank by at least the required minimum ammount usually stated by the manufacturers. I am thinking an old piece of kitchen worktop (the size of the base of the tank) supported by a couple of 4"x2" or 6"x2" cross members, decorared of course.

Surely though your situation would be far better solved with an internal filter.

10. Behold

Behold Member

If you have painted walls you could take a chunk out and feed the pipe behind the worktop. then its repairable with not lasting damage????