• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

External heater in the inflow?

parotet

In my new 60 liters tank I will be using an Eheim 2215 and an external 300w Hydor heater. I was preparing everything and I was asking myself if I can put the heater in the inflow (in most places it is recommended to put it in the outflow pipe). The reasons to prefer it in the inflow pipe are:

1. I don't want to lose flow. I think I will have a good flow with this filter and around 54 real liters of water on the tank... But I prefer not to reduce it.

2. In this filter the intake is on the bottom so I have 75 cm inside the cabinet to install the heater and the double tap. If I place the heater in the outflow which is on the top of the canister I just have 25 cm but I also need room for the double tap (and Hydor 300w is 20 cm long)... so there is no place. As a result I have to make a strange loop to have a gentle bending of the pipe. If I try to make a shorter loop the pipe bends too much and the flow would be decreased. Really don't like the solution, too much distance of outflow pipe inside the cabinet.

Much easier to understand with this pic...

zere3y6y.jpg

Just read that these heaters should stay vertically, never like shown in the picture

I have mine on the inflow and it works perfectly fine. It will loose flow a little wherever it's placed I'm afraid. It's quite negligible though.

I have mine on the inflow and it works perfectly fine. It will loose flow a little wherever it's placed I'm afraid. It's quite negligible though.

It is said it can be blocked more easily with plant detritus... Did you have any problem?

Back