• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Fallen branch; regrowth.

Ady34

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Amazing journal mate.

Tempted to go with Tucanos with my new scape instead of Rummynoses lol. Do they shoal, if at all? Maybe I should just get both 😅 Always have soft spots for more uncommon nano fishes.
Hi, thank you.
The tucano don’t really shoal, they form a loose group, however this is a small tank so they can always see each other. Maybe in a larger system their behaviour would be different. I would say get both though as they tend to inhabit the mid to upper regions and rummy noses the opposite. They will make a nice contrast :cool:

The tank has been ticking along, staghorn remains persistent but not overbearing, and excel is dosed daily now. I have just began daily fertiliser dosing also with the Ada fertiliser range that I use with good success on my 30c tank.
I would say that the 45p is my most engaging scape. Situated in the hallway it has made me connect with it in a different and refreshing way. I stop regularly for moments rather than long periods seated in front of it. Every time I pass it I have a nosey in to see what I can find, shrimp, ottos and liquorice gourami can all be elusive so it’s fun searching them out or catching a glimpse.

Here’s a few images with the last a post I added on Instagram recently as a synopsis of planting within the scape. Below is the little write up :)

68001F74-8B89-4FE4-83FE-FD63F5DA18A8.jpeg

F1E638DE-5834-43FA-8EE0-A2E4DC94FFC8.jpeg

603FCE1E-87B4-4D48-972F-6672AA874C3B.jpeg

6D47F397-54EF-4F15-AD17-D178D3312E15.jpeg

7293C1D4-D328-45D3-8FDF-5E54A94CDCA8.jpeg

FFA2192A-E4FE-4683-8C1C-E78BAB6A65EA.jpeg

6F4514B1-661F-43CF-A05A-193438175DF9.jpeg

1074273A-20D5-408F-9429-C798B8E9C221.jpeg

TEXTURAL TOP DOWN TUESDAY - A PLANTING SYNOPSIS.

I love the uninterrupted open top aesthetic which allows for a great view of the different textures within the planting and hardscape materials.
From above, Marsilea hirsuta ‘clovers’ compliment the rounded shapes of the Phyllanthus fluitans floating plants in both form and colour. These blend with the Marsilea crenata and subtly soft Riccardia chamedryfolia cushions, and also with the pebbles used to transition into the open sand foreground.
Soft blankets of Java moss have been free to fill any open spaces along the horizontal ‘fallen branch’.
Variations of Bucephelandra kedegang, caterina and the smaller mini needle leaf, along with cryptocoryne parva add a contrast in size and colour but accent the leaf shape of the tiny Anubias pangolino.
Cryptocoryne albida brown has a narrow vertical aesthetic, represented again with the Eleocharis acicularis mini which blends with the midground upright ramous wood hardscape roots. The Bolbitis heteroclita difformis fern like appearance adds an aged forest feel and again helps transition the different leaf sizes and forms below with the detailed higher level and emergent wood structures.
There is a lot going on in this tiny space, but it all commingles to create an unpretentious nature inspired aquascape 💚

Cheerio,
Ady.

Ady34

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team