• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fallen Tree

Loved your tank and the updates.. One of the best angel fish tanks I've seen. Great photography as well. :)

Cheers,

Karthik

Thank you fot your words KarthikC

And do guys want to know more about this tank ??

Here it is our mini Ptherophyllum sp. ''Rio Nanay''

IMG_7822_zps02ee604b.jpg

We have more than 100 tiny ones swimming

_MG_7841_zpsc3af0a63.jpg

How cool is this ?? liver, swim bladder, stomach and brain all in transparency

:D

They are doing really well...good job

Hi Martin,

At this stage is really simple to make them grow, just give them live food (grindal and brine shrimp), frequent water changes, check on temperature and they are good to go :)

They are now starting to pick on smashed Hikari Bio Gold granulate so is going really nice indeed ;)

Thank you for following

Hey Nuno,

Wonderfu looking tank and congrats on the fry! Was just wondering how the adult angelfish are doing, any signs of stunted growth or anything? The reason I ask is because you usually read about a minimum 120 cm. wide/ 60 cm. high tank for maybe a breeding pair, but it looks like you have half a dozen of them in a 90 cm. and they look amazing! Any signs of stress or bad health, or are they doing as well as they show in the pics? And no fear of them outgrowing the tank, seeing as they can reach about 30 cm. in height, or will they be relocated in due time? Am asking because I have always loved angels, but never had the space for them.

Thanks, and kudos once more on a wonderful tank!

Hey Nuno,

Wonderfu looking tank and congrats on the fry! Was just wondering how the adult angelfish are doing, any signs of stunted growth or anything? The reason I ask is because you usually read about a minimum 120 cm. wide/ 60 cm. high tank for maybe a breeding pair, but it looks like you have half a dozen of them in a 90 cm. and they look amazing! Any signs of stress or bad health, or are they doing as well as they show in the pics? And no fear of them outgrowing the tank, seeing as they can reach about 30 cm. in height, or will they be relocated in due time? Am asking because I have always loved angels, but never had the space for them.

Thanks, and kudos once more on a wonderful tank!

Hi Vinkenoog,

I have to admit they would be better on a larger tank, but they are doing really nice in here, really nice color, no stress, feeding good and as matter a fact I have 2 confirmed females laying eggs and the big male is dominant all over the aquarium, the larger female lays eggs on the right piece of wood and the smaller one on the thermo placed on the left ;)

This layout was 100% thought for them, the big chunk of wood on the right side delimits the breeding dominant pair territory and the other two don't mess around with them. Other aspect is that I only used a really thin layer of decorative sand to give them as much water depth as this tank could offer and with no background slope.. The pieces of wood placed in vertical frees good space around for them to swim freely, also the floating plants cover all the water surface, so very little light coming in and less stress for them. Also using turf on the cannister (a full basket of it), to give a closer feel on their natural habitat, and I think they really appreciate the pH drob caused by the humic acids, dark water is the cherry on top of the cake that I know many people don't really like, but when you see this kind of fish in this kind of setup there's no turning back.

I also maintain a 300L planted tank so I have the best of the 2 worlds, biotopes dedicated to my Scalare and Apistos and planted thanks, cant live without them both. :)

As for good tank measures I say that 100cm wide and 50cm high for Pterophyllum Scalare is a good measures for like 6-7 of them but if you go to Pterophyllum Altums than I would advice not less than 120cm wide and 70cm high , have in mind that this is for biotope like tank, if you go for a planted tank than they would need a lot more space.

The little fry are in a 60x30x36 breeding tank that I have for breeding apistogrammas :D

Thanks for following

Last edited:
Looks lovely Nuno. Are you using flash for your photographs or are the tank lights bright enough?

Edit - flickr gave me my answer! I need more light over my tank - you're getting about 4 stops more light than me.

The Fallen Tree photos for BADC and AGA 2014 wore with my 4x54w fixture plus it's 2x39W on top, is really hard to take pictures on this tank because of the water color, so a lot of light is needed to reduce the ISO to 1600 and that's how low I can go :(, a little grain is aspected on the final result as you can clearly see on the pics ;)

The fry photos are only with a 60cm Beamswork LED Double Hi-Lumen 6500K fixture, but with clear water is easier, the only problem is that they are really tiny (less than 1cm) zoom and catch them steady is a pain in the ass :p

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back