• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fast growing frogbit

Karen H

Hi I have frogbit in 2 of my tanks . I find the roots grow very faster. I have been told this is due to them looking for nutrients . I thought it was due to high
phosphates level in water column as I have had problem with hair algae in these tanks. The first tank after 3 months of frogbit been in now has no hair algae. Have I got this the right way round fast growth of frogbit high levels of food available to it or should it mean low levels .
Karen

The way I understood this is that floating plants would control any excess of phosphate thereby keeping algae down.

I know we add it but the cause of CO2 levels not correct,incorrect circulation or too much lighting lead to hair algae, so Floating Plants would help?

Floating plants lower the amount of light in the tank and thus lower the amount of ferts/co2 needed, giving more room for error/ easier to fulfill the demands.

When used in an unplanted tank, like for large cichlids, the amount of food the floaters pick up helps with lessening the burden on the water/filter.

I do ei dose my other tank . Not started on this tank yet as only up and running for 6 weeks. The crypts that are in are all growing well and no hair algae on them. The hair algae is only on the moss. My tanks do have a slow flow as I keep betta splendens. So it's abit of a balancing act. Since adding frogbit to my other tank it has been much easier to keep the levels steady.

Hi all,
Since adding frogbit to my other tank it has been much easier to keep the levels steady
If your Frogbit is dark green has large leaves and a lot of root, it just means that it is getting a lot of nutrients (really N and K) from the water column. It was this rapid response to nutrients that led me to use Limnobium as my indicator plant for the "Duckweed Index": <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/low-maintainence-long-term-sustrate.14400/>.
I find the roots grow very faster. I have been told this is due to them looking for nutrients
This is true to some degree, as nutrient levels fall, the plant will move more resources from producing more photosynthetic tissue to producing more root.

It isn't as pronounced an effect in aquatic plants as it is in terrestrial plants, mainly because the nutrient ions are distributed through out the water column, rather than the roots ramifying through the "patchy" environment of the soil.

cheers Darrel

Back