• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fe EDDHA sources

Cheltster

Hello, this is mainly aimed @dw1305 and @Zeus.
I have been reading up on your posts regarding using Fe EDDHA to add iron to aquariums, particularly where the water is harder. I'm happy to add it to my setup as I already add powdered ferts, so no issue there. My only question is where do you sort the stuff? So far I have found Soulfeed which supplies a kilogram. I have seen people recommend Chempak Sequestered Iron or Vitex, which I believe are similar. Problem is I can't seem to establish if these contain Fe EDDHA and in what percentage. Plus on the Amazon page for Chempak it stated it was harmful to aquatic life. I have lots of snails, shrimp etc so didn't want to put anything in that would harm them, but at the same time didn't want a kilo of powder that would probably take 50 years to get through. Any thoughts/comments/suggestions welcome.

Hi all,
I have seen people recommend Chempak Sequestered Iron or Vitax,
I'd guess that they are both the same product differently branded.

The Chempak <"Amazon product ASIN B00M48LGKO"> doesn't actually contain a lot of iron. On the box it says "DTPA 1.2% and EDDHA Fe 0.8% ...... total iron soluble in water is 2.0%. " If you bought a 250g box, you've only actually 5g of iron chelates.

That "5g" could also be written as "5000 mg" and "ppm" and "mg / L" are equivalent. So if you had a 100 litre tank and you added 1g of "Chempak Sequestered Iron" you've added 5000 / 250 = 20 and 20 / 100 = 0.2 ppm Fe. The full calculation is here <"Could it be the substrate? Tank in terminal decline...">.
Plus on the Amazon page for Chempak it stated it was harmful to aquatic life.
I think that is a just a disclaimer and it would be at high dosages, but so would every other chemical we use. The potentially toxic element is actually the 9% manganese sulphate (MnSO4), rather than Fe DTPA or Fe EDDHA <"https://www.thompson-morgan.com/static-images/tandm/fertiliser-information/Chempak-Sequestered-Iron.pdf">.

If you wanted to work out how much manganese you 've added, you need to know the RMM of the compound (I'm guessing MnSO4.4H2O) and the RAM of manganese, which gives 55 (RAM) / 223 (RMM) = 25 % Mn and 9 / 25 = 2.78% Mn.

One gram of Chempak Sequestered Iron adds 0.0278g Mn = 28 mg of Mn and in 100 litres = 0.28 ppm Mn, so "Chempak Manganese" might be a better name.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
100g £17.59 + £5 postage. It will be cheaper to buy 1kg from solufeed.
Also note the seller, its our old friend Hypsolebias. 🙄

Last edited:
In the UK I got mine from Bioly, it states on it that it is fish safe, and I’ve been using it over 6 months no problem. The product is called ‘iron plus b’. You can order it direct or of fleabay.

Yes I've had products from them and would highly recommend. Unfortunately the EDDHA iron is sold out in their online store and flea bay site atm and think have been for a while.
Damn that’s a shame, might be worth an email to them, you never know

I bought 100g of Fe EDDHA and after a while it turned into a massive block. I Assume it was due to humidity. If you are buying in bulk, I’d recommend searching how to properly store it.

100g £17.59 + £5 postage. It will be cheaper to buy 1kg from solufeed.
Also note the seller, its our old friend Hypsolebias. 🙄

Cheaper to buy 1Kg
1696498530988.png

When looking for Fe EDDHA a while back, I saw that there are two different forms it takes, either ortho-ortho or ortho-para. Different suppliers would guarantee different proportions of these forms, and most of the sellers didn't specify anything in this regard. Allegedly, the orth-ortho form is better "since it does not allow water to polarize and thus destabilize the particle".

Is this of any concern to us?

Hi all,
When looking for Fe EDDHA a while back, I saw that there are two different forms it takes, either ortho-ortho or ortho-para.
I think it is only the para para form that isn't plant available in solution, but I don't know the reason.
Other than 50p and 6% vs 7% is there any meaningful difference between this one and the Solufeed Fe 7.0 regular? Fe 7 EDDHA Regular
No.

Cheers Darrel

Back