• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Feedback on hardscape

Johan Steen

Hi everyone,

This is my first attempt at aquascaping, and I feel like I could definitely use some feedback on the hardscape aspect of things 😊

The tank is 60 x 40 x 35 cm (LxWxH).

I don’t wanna say too much about what I’m attempting with the hardscape - if it’s any good, hopefully it’ll speak for itself 😅 I will say however, that I’m trying for a Brazilian-styled (or at least Brazilian-inspired) scape with fairly heavy planting and stem plants in the back.

Anyway - any thoughts on what works / doesn’t work would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_7228.JPG

IMG_7230.JPG

IMG_7224.JPG

IMG_7223.JPG

I'm not great at scaping but the only things I'd consider are the smaller stones in front will be practically invisible when it's planted unless they are raised a bit from the substrate and I'd raise the substrate height on the left rear. The hardscape itself looks good to me, but I'm not a great artist lol

I'm not great at scaping but the only things I'd consider are the smaller stones in front will be practically invisible when it's planted unless they are raised a bit from the substrate and I'd raise the substrate height on the left rear. The hardscape itself looks good to me, but I'm not a great artist lol

Yep apart from losing the front stones I really like the layout. Decent first attempt 👍

Thank you for the feedback :)
I'll pour in some more soil in the back and change some of the smaller stones in the front.
Now I just need to get the plants and then actually plant them 😅

My eye is drawn to the channel in this scape (there is literally an arrow of space above it pointing into it.) The more movement and taper you can create through that channel, the better the scape will look.

I think it looks nice and once planted and aged with algae on the rocks will be great. What plants are you planning to put in there?
For myself I would love to look for some really intricate pieces of fine twisted mini branches to create something additional so the eye is drawn everywhere.
Will you cap the substrate with anything else?

I like it! The only thing I can think of to improve is to create some added tension, like having one of the main rocks go against the flow of the aquascape.

Back