• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ferts: Help

Bolota

I'm new to UKAPS (and also to the aquarium world) and this has probably been discussed before, but I can't find a simple explanation in the already big cloud of info..
Should one add ferts with P and N even in a well stocked tank? should one use N and P ferts differently for root plants than for others? For example in the same tank I have very nice (bright and green) rotala bonsai and a now dead Myriophyllum (it had very long roots when I took it out...). I dose daily (2 ml) Florena, but I feel like it is not enough for some plants (other are OK though....).
Could anyone help?
thanks!

Your question is complex and way you have asked it implies that you have a lot to learn.

To answer simply, if the livestock/food doesn't create enough P and N for the plants, you need to add it. All that matters is that the plants have enough of all the nutrients they need.

For example, in my high tech tank, I only add P/micros because I am very very overstocked. :)

This is very much linked to how fast your plants are growing. For example if you're dosing in CO2. either liquid or gas, then I would suspect that additional ferts would be required.

I'd recommend reading Diana Walstad's Ecology of the Planted Aquarium. This is an excellent, and readable, scientific account of all the interactions between organisms living in a planted aquarium. I also found a lot of excellent information on this site (just browse some of the sections like tutorials and fert dosing) and at thebarrreport.com.

There is a vast amount of information and it will take time to build up your knowledge. Just keep reading and you'll get there.

Cheers

Back