Few problems with my little slice of nature!

Luketendo

Hi all, I know you were, it is just an example of why testing sea water maybe more straightforward than testing fresh water.

Which /www.nodc.noaa.gov/archive/arc0001/9900162/2.2/data/0-data/jgofscd/Files/protocols/chap9.html#:~:text=The%20concentration%20of%20reactive%20nitrate,mmol%20kg%20%2D1%20in%20seawater.&text=The%20determination%20of%20nitrate%20is,using%20a%20cadmium%2Dcopper%20column.']analytical method[/URL]"> to you use for your Coral work?

If you have enough time and money you can get accurate determination of all the solutes in water.

cheers Darrel
Didn't do it myself but it want on a Seal AA3 Auto-Analsyer measuring NH3, NO2, DIN, PO4. Triplicate samples from each tank 3 times a week. NO3 range was 0.5 to 5 uM approx

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

PARAGUAY

I gave up testing for nitrate with the API the process is a bit laboured and easy to error and the coloration too similar for wide margins. I think it's useful for the basic testing ammonia and nitrite

dw1305

Expert
Hi all,
I gave up testing for nitrate with the API the process is a bit laboured and easy to error and the coloration too similar for wide margins. I think it's useful for the basic testing ammonia and nitrite
That seems fair enough.
Seal AA3 Auto-Analsyer measuring NH3, NO2, DIN, PO4.
Perfect, but also sort of the point. The <"auto-analyser is using colorimetry and cadmium reduction">. It is designed for use in a water testing lab., with a high throughput of samples, and automates a lot of what the lab. scientist would do.
Triplicate samples from each tank 3 times a week. NO3 range was 0.5 to 5 uM approx
I won't do all the calculations, but a quick bit of approximation (somebody could check?), has the RMM of NO3 is 62, so a molar solution is 62g of NO3 made up to one litre, and one micromol. is 62 * 10^-6, and your top NO3 level was about 0.3 mg/L (ppm).

cheers Darrel