• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

few questions about starting with plants

dawidmNS

Hi guys

Ive got few questions as I want to avoid any problems such as algea in my first planted tank. My tank is already running from yesterday. There is only akadama substrate and some stones as it was hard to rinse akadama so i decided to do it in the tank by water changes etc. However, water is very clear so no water changes are needed.

My questions are:
-in next week probably thursday I will recieve plants. And is it ok if the tank will be running till that time or is it better to empty the tank and once plants recieved fill up again?
- im going to try with EI method, and from which day should I start dosing? Day 1? If yes then by adding full daily dosage or start with half and slowly increase?
- the same thing with co2, half dosage or from full beginning ?

If you could answer for these question I will be very thanksful :)

Thank you
Dawid

Hi Dawid
Welcome aboard
You will find a wealth of info on here to help with any problems you come across just ask
In answer to your questions
1 you can keep the tank running but I would keep your lights off until you get your plants
2 planting is easier if the tank is empty but it's not essential,if you don't mind getting your arms wet then leave it full
3 start co2 and ei at full on day one, the only thing I would recommend is starting with lower lighting and no more than a 6hour photo period to start off with to help keep algae problems as low as possible
Too much light = algae
Hope this helps
Matt

Thank you Matt for quick and helpful reply.

Ive got rio180 and 6x36W light unit but im only using 3x36W.
So I will start from 6h. And should I slowly inrease it up to 8h? Or just leave it at 6?

Regards
Dawid

Hi Dawid and welcome to UKAPS!

Matt has given you some excellent advice.

I would also advise only running 2 x 36w for 6hrs initially. Once the plants have matured over a month or so, you can increase intensity and photoperiod. I would not go above 4 x 36w for more than 8hrs, personally.

Planting heavily with fast growers from the start is a good idea to help avoid early algae issues, as well as lots of water changes i.e. at least 2x 50% per week in the first 2 weeks.

All the best,
George

Hi George, thank you for your advices too!

I can start with 2x36W. However, The plants Im going to recieve are mostly carpet plants such as glosso, hair grass. Also some blyxa japonica, some vallis and tiger lotus. Will glosso and blyxa be ok under that light?

Thank you once again ;)
Dawid

Yes they will but, you need to get your Co2 right, C02 is far more important that the light!
You need to make sure the gas is everywhere withing the tank & at the right level & that is stays long enough in one place to satisfy the plants!
Once you have mastered this then you can grow anything under much lower light levels that you might of thought!

Hi there!

I thought 2x36W will be really not enought to keep blyxa, I didnt know about that.
Im just working on the best flow around the tank, to make sure CO2 will be everywhere, sounds easy but its quite hard to choce the best option as Ive got (not sure about English name) WATER-BUTT.

Thank you
Dawid

Back