• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filamentous green algea in new tank...help

BMK

Seedling
Hi
I have a new tank with the following specs:
180L Jewel Vision
2 x 35w T5 with reflectors
Standard Jewel filter with Ehiem Eco pro external
Pressurised co2 with ceramic diffuser positioned under Jewel filter outflow
One very large piece of bogwood and heavly planted using ADA soil system
The tank has been run for 1 month with hardscape only doing twice weekly water changes, then planted for nearly 4 weeks, again doing twice weekly water changes, also dosing EI. I now have green filamentous algea on the branches of the bogwood (its very fine and soft to the touch) my question is how do I remove it, it just does not want to come off, tried algea pad, scrapping it off with finger nail, also how do I get rid of it, any help is much apprieciated.

Barry

Quick update, I have identified it as green beard algae, it only grows on my bogwood, it only appears to grow to 3cm but I can't pull it off, I am doing 2 x 60% water changes mon/wed and it seems to be holding . There are no fish in the tank yet (will Ottos eat this?) could anyone tell me what causes it.
Any feedback is appreciated.

Barry

Hi,
beard/brush algae is co2 related. Fluctuating or poor co2 distribution may well be the cause. If you can increase dosage of co2 I'd do that, ensure distribution is spot on also. If co2 is already maximised with regards the livestock in the tank your next option is to reduce the demand for co2 from the plants by reducing lighting intensity. The juwel lighting is difficult to raise higher above the water surface so you could remove the reflectors on your lights to reduce lighting intensity. Your doing the right thing with increased water changes, but also ensure filter maintenance is always spot on :thumbup:
As a rule prevention is better than cure so when you have got the co2 and distribution sorted ( you may have already addressed this) then you can Spot dose liquid carbon to the effected areas which will kill the algae. Either remove the effected wood and brush liquid carbon to the areas, leave for a few minutes then place back in the tank, or if this isnt practical, drain to below the areas and do the same. If they are really low down, switch off the filters and use a pipette to squirt the liquid carbon in the area, after 10 mins or so switch the filters back on. Within a few days the algae should change colour and die, but repeat if necessary. Siamese algae eaters can also control this type of algae, they won't eat the tufts but will graze on the first spores thus preventing its development.
Tweezers are better than fingers for manual removal :)
Hope this helps.
Cheerio
Ady

Back