Filter and flow for 300l tank

Discussion in 'Filters, Filtration and Pumps' started by colmans, 11 Oct 2019 at 11:42 PM.

1. colmans

colmans Newly Registered

Hi Folks,

I'm looking to set up a 300l scaped Discus tank and was wondering whether the Oase 600 would actually do the trick or whether I'd have to up the flow. Trying to sort out the budget at the moment before I take the plunge!

Thanks for any advise!

Cheers

Johnny

2. alto

alto Member

You’re going to need to compromise between flow rate and discus shape

Good news is that ADA, Green Aqua, Tropica, Juwel, Filipe Oliveira and others have shown that you only need good flow for great plant growth not high flow rates :)

3. Tom Michael

Tom Michael Member

If you’re intending on injecting CO2 you will need more - I would use two personally if using lily pipes, if you use a spray bar I would recommend something more powerful than the oase.

It’s a matter of taste, but I wouldn’t look to keep discus in a tank that size, not good to get any decent scale

4. colmans

colmans Newly Registered

Thanks guys, the scale thing is definitely something I've been concerned about as well. I'm on the compromise track as I'm only getting permission to site the tank where it is if I get some fish to go in that the kids can engage with :). Seems a bit crazy but I'm in compromise territory! Any other thoughts on fish recommendations would be great (120 x 50 x 50).

Thanks again

Johnny

5. alto

alto Member

An old scape from ADG with discus in an ADA 120H (120 x 45 x 60cm I think)

At 10 - 15cm (discus) body size the tank dimensions are great, but aquarium discus can grow considerably larger (especially when fed beef heart etc type foods, I suspect)

Seriously Fish profile for discus is limited but remains a good summary
    https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/symphysodon-aequifasciatus/

Practical Fishkeeping has several articles (publicly) available online (& more if subscribed)

6. Tom Michael

Tom Michael Member

Really depends what you aim to achieve- that size tank is excellent for aquascaping, i would go for a classic nature aquarium (see Ada for inspiration) with large shoals of 3 or so tetra species, clean up crew and perhaps a pair of dwarf chiclids.

If you want to go high-tech with Co2 you will get lush, compact growth, however it can be quite a challenge dissolving the Co2 and getting enough flow in a tank that size. The costs will also increase!

7. colmans

colmans Newly Registered

Thanks guys, I think you've turned my mindset around pretty quickly :). I'm going to focus on the scale and the scape so I think the Discus can wait for another day as I get a feeling the compromise will be too big as they start to grow on. The tank above does look great but I'm just going to lose that scale perspective when they grow. I'll keep you guys updated when the tank arrives :).

8. alto

alto Member

No reason you can’t bring in the discus at 8cm and sell them on once you feel they’ve outgrown the scape ...
    (if you ever feel that way)
    I love planted aquariums and the many stunning possibilities in scaping, but I’d not let photographic perspective stop me from keeping a fish species (assuming I’ve a suitably sized aquarium for that fish species) - especially when it’s a family project

One of my favourite Takashi Amano photos is of a 34cm x 30cm (x 25cm high) aquarium with Papilochromis ramirezi (gold form but breed standard size fish)

Last edited: 14 Oct 2019 at 6:45 AM
  9. colmans

colmans Newly Registered

Yeh, it's the family bit I'm trying to balance out a touch as I think they'll get more engagement with the discus rather than a bunch of smaller fish. The more I can keep the kids and family engaged the better as It's also fun for them and I might get a helping hand as well :)

10. Matt @ ScapeEasy

Matt @ ScapeEasy Member

Can you post or link to that photo?