• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter consumables

jameson_uk

The head on my Eheim 2217 has gone noisy again and I am thinking I need to get another impeller and shaft but when looking I see that Eheim suggest changing there every year anyway. Same goes for o rings.

I had always assumed this was just them trying to sell more stuff but it got me thinking about whether I should actually start thinking of some things as consumable?

I have replaced a couple of the coarse sponges over three years as they were getting so dirty I couldn't clean them and likewise the pre-filter sponges.

Do others replace items periodically or just wait until they break?

I just bought another FX6 so I had a complete set of spares. Swap the canisters over for cleaning pump etc.
Plus have spare if one fails or gets a leak. Swap some of the sponge media over every so often for a good clean in the dish washer

It was many years ago but I reckon the ceramic shafts lasted a couple of years each. A mates Fluval at the time used stainless steel shafts and they had to be changed more often.

I've got a eheim pro 2 canister filter that been running non stop for 14 years now with about 6 of them on a marine tank. In that time the only thing I've changed is the o ring, a couple of years ago. The clips have broken a little but still work enough to make it fully water tight, and I dropped it and cracked the trim but apart from cosmetically it's completely flawless.
One of the reason I like the older filters is they are so reliable and built in an era when less cost cutting occurred.

Back